Thursday, October 13, 2005

More NightRunning

I finally got around to doing the easy one hour recovery run this evening, right at dusk. It was pleasant outside, now that the nights actually cool off from the afternoon highs (which were "only" 85 today). I started out by running in the 'Hood, and then did the slightly shorter water tower run on the trail, which was interesting since it was full night by then. I didn't step on any rocks, so no harm done. Finished off with more meandering through the 'Hood, and I was home. Just under 60 minutes, 6.3 miles at 9:26/mile, and my HR was hanging out in the full easy zone the whole time. It just felt nice to be out there, alone with the music and my own thoughts.

I got an interesting three song cycle of "Runnin' With The Devil," "Surfin' USA," and "Truckin' ," which were notable as a threesome only by their dropped "g"s.

Tomorrow is a gym visit, Saturday is a super easy 30 minutes and stretching, and the evil Pervasive 10 Miler is Sunday. I think I'm ready for it this year. Goals on Saturday.

I drove the Pervasive course yesterday afternoon, and it looks as tough as I remember. The first 3 miles or so are flat to very gentle uphill, then there's a big drop to the low point on the course over a two stage downhill. At that point, it turns very steeply uphill for the half mile torture test that is Scotland Wells Drive. It has a false top and a second incline, and then it flattens just for a half mile after a left hand turn or so to the 5 mile mark. After that, there's a series of a couple of three significant uphill stretches and accompanying flat or downhill bits between them. Once you reach the 7 mile mark, it's all flat to gentle downhill after that. So, as always, the key is to find your pace early, find your hill climbing gear during the next 3 miles and enjoy the downhills and flats as much as possible in the middle, and then "go!" as Gilbert suggests for the last 3 miles. Sounds easy enough...can I implement the Plan?

No comments: