Friday, November 04, 2005

More GymStuff

I'm starting to sound sort of like Alex, but today was another gym visit. Yesterday's leg exercise extravaganza didn't leave me with too much excessive soreness or stiffness, so that was a good sign. Today was all the other stuff, but no leg exercise. I did start with 20 minutes on the good cycle, and that served its purpose. Core stuff was fun, in that occasionally grimacing way. Did everything this time. I need to make sure and do a minimal core workout a couple more times a week, after a run, like just the crunches and maybe pushups and back raises. We'll see if I can manage to remember that. On upper body stuff, I've turned up the weight on several exercises, so it was lower reps today as I get used to the greater loads. If I had had a spotter for bench, I might have gotten the full 2x10 reps, but when doing those alone, I get a little worried if I'm working really hard on rep number 8 in the last set. I don't want to end up trapped under the bar or anything. :-) Anyway, after all that, I did the full stretching regimen, and even did some AI stretches for calves and hamstrings, to help them along.

It wasn't nearly as fun as running with the peeps or alone on the trail, but I know this stuff is helping me become a better and stronger runner. Onward and upward! Tomorrow, we get to tour the middle chunk of the new Freescale course. Should be fun to explore the new route. More and more of the Chicago people are coming back for this one, too, so we should have a pretty full house. I plan on trying for 17-18 miles, which will require a little extra cooldown type running on the trail once we get back to Auditorium Shores.

I went to RunTex today to try and get my next pair of Mizunos, but they did not have my size in stock. I'll check back next week. While there, I saw Deb and her daughter, Lu (I may have misspelled that, sorry!). We were both chatting with Gilbert. I picked up some Enervitene for use at Motive and races beyond while there. GU is great for training runs, but I like the higher octane stuff for racing.

No comments: