Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Taper Madness (Cont.)

The closer the race gets, the stranger I feel. Today, I was doing something totally non-running related, and I got that sudden cold chill that I'm racing a marathon on Sunday. In the space of maybe 2 minutes, I had the fear that my training hasn't been sufficient, then the knowledge that Gilbert knows what he's doing, and I've done almost every workout, especially the important ones, and then I obsessed for a bit over a mild sniffle that I experienced, and then finally I settled down again. Strange, but nothing out of normal for this strange week. Legs feel great, if a bit heavy, and I've been a good boy all week nutritionally. Tomorrow, we have a last group workout, and I get my pre-race massage tuneup, and then Friday it's the Expo.

The mind plays crazy tricks on you in Taper City, and you just have to keep going back to all those miles of training that you've invested in this effort, and trust that the Plan is solid. Weather is still shifting a bit, but it looks still like a day in the high 40's to mid-50's, and overcast. That would totally be good with me.

No comments: