Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Last Fast Stuff

This morning was 50 degrees and overcast, currently the marathon morning forecast. We cruised over to Zilker Park for our 3000m of repeats. There was a lot of chatting about race goals and strategy as we ran over to Zilker, of course. Drills were fun, and then we gathered for the Word. Gilbert offered us the option of doing 3x1000m with 300m slow jog between or doing 3000m continuous, slightly faster than marathon goal pace. My subgroup of Jan and Henry chose to do 3000m continuous, and we were off. Naturally, in the dark, we were a little quick, and hit the first mile in 8:25, much faster than the 8:55-9:00 I anticipated. The rest of the course was downhill to flat, and we sped up a bit coming in, I guess, for a final pace of 8:15/mile for the 3000m run. Too fast, but it didn't feel crazy fast when we were running. This far out, I don't think it will harm anything for race day, but I do wish we had been more moderate. HR wasn't too bad, though, so I think it'll be fine. After everyone finished, we jogged back to RunTex. Several of us did most of the stretching routine afterwards. Gilbert is getting anxious for us, I think, but remains positive when he talks with us individually. If race day is like this morning, that would be okay for me. Not ideal, but pretty close. Overcast and 50-55 degrees would be fine. Tomorrow's another off day. For the day, right at 5 miles, averaging 9:00/mile.

No comments: