Tuesday, February 15, 2005

2005 Freescale Marathon

"The Marathon can humble you." - Bill Rodgers

Wow. It sure can. Full of enthusiasm, most of us looked forward to Sunday's Freescale Marathon, hoping to break PR's, and in some cases, hoping to shatter them. As noted, I was shooting to finally break through the 4:00:00 barrier. I got enough sleep on Saturday night, about 5 hours, after a good night's sleep on Friday night. I woke up at 4:15 am feeling good, until I checked the weather forecast one last time. 65 at the start, maximum humidity, with the sun breaking through by 10:00 and warming to 72-75 by the time I hoped to finish. Damn! I ate a bagel, and took my banana and Accelerade with me in the truck. I finished off the pre-race food and drink on the way down to the finish area, and met up with Frank, Alex, and Henry for our bus trip up to the start. We were nervous, but mainly anxious to get going.

When we were dropped off, the rains started, and by the time we got inside the Embassy Suites to wait for warmups, etc., the rain was pounding down with serious lightning as an accompaniment. It was bad enough (the electrical part of the show) that we figured they might postpone the start of the race. I called Gilbert, and he said that under the circumstances, we wouldn't gather for the usual warmups, but that we could do 5 minutes of easy jogging before getting in line. After passing that word, the four of us chatted nervously, and most of us were sipping water as we waited amid the crowd in the lobby of the hotel. The rains continued, but the temperature wasn't all that great. I swapped my planned long-sleeved throwaway shirt for my trusty throwaway Tyvek jacket (it's a better rain garment), and stuffed my clothes drop bag with everything else. A couple of port-o-stops later, we headed out for good to line up. The rains had stopped by about 15 minutes to 7:00, so we dropped our baggage and went to the front of the crowd.

As Distance Challenge competitors, we got the excellent perk of being allowed to line up in the corral just behind the elite runners. We were ahead of all the pace group signs, which was both exciting and daunting. We knew that tons of folks would be going by us in the first chunk of the race, but figured we could keep the blinders on while that happened. I found Jan in the DC corral, and we lined up together. Star Spangled Banner was average. Just before the horn, they let the other merely fast people invade our space, and then before we could get nervous, the horn went off and we were off with it. We crossed the start line only 7 seconds after the gun, which is certainly the fastest I've done that in a marathon!

Our goal was to try to run comfortable 9:00 miles for the first half, while the course was easier, and then settle back down a bit in the second half. Hmmph. Jan and I sailed up the uphill first mile, to the highest spot on the course, and then turned on Braker. First mile was right on schedule. Second mile was too fast, in our enthusiasm. The usual band that plays at the 2 mile mark was not present, which was a bummer. Kelly passed us during mile 2, searching ahead for Frank. We gave her the info, and she continued on. The 3:00, 3:10, 3:15 and 3:20 pace groups passed us by mile 2, as expected. I ditched the tyvek jacket during mile 2, and went with a singlet and shorts for the rest of the race. The last time I ran a marathon in singlet weather was Honolulu, so this wasn't a good omen. The sky was brightening as we negotiated the big puddles and streams in the road during mile 3 and 4, which were on and off pace. By now, I noted that my HR numbers were way off. I was at least 10 bpm higher than a similar pace effort at the 3M half marathon a few weeks ago. Not good. My breathing was fine, no problems there, but the weather was possibly already taking a toll. Jan continued to press the pace a bit too much for my plan, so I drifted back and found Gene Woodruff, my 73 year old running pal. We ran along together, talking a bit, and got to the mile 5 marker. I was avoiding the water stops early, drinking my own water from a disposable bottle. I was already fighting daemons, but was hopeful that I'd settle down.

Splits, Mile 1-5: 8:52, 8:31, 9:05, 8:55, 9:01 (average 8:53, a little fast, but manageable downhill)

The 3:30, 3:40 and 3:45 pace groups went by during mile 5 and 6, and I saw Richard, among others, go by. I took my first GU at the water stop near mile 6. During mile 7, I fell back from Gene, as he gently pulled ahead. I saw Amy from my training group in the crowds during mile 7, and that was nice. The usual bagpipers were there along the railroad tracks, so musically, at least, the race was returning to normal. My HR went crazy during mile 6, which prompted me to back off from running with Gene. As we turned during mile 8, the sun was out in force, and I was thankful that I had stashed shades in my waistpack. It was super bright! I missed the mile 7 marker, but my splits for the 2 miles, 7 and 8, were right on schedule. My HR had subsided a bit, too. I was working on my full arsenal of mental tricks as we tooled along Shoal Creek. I stayed with my pattern of taking a few steps at every other water stop, starting at mile 7, and drinking water and/or Powerade, and pouring a cup of water over my head as well. I ditched my old hat at mile 8, too. Even with it soaking with water, it didn't feel like it was helping. At mile 9, I took my second GU, and then climbed up the short hill on 45th Street, to the mile 10 marker. My times had dropped off schedule at mile 9, and mile 10's split was slower still. I was still on my 4:00:00 schedule, but there was a dangerous trend happening. I moved on, into the sun again. We had also heard on a PA system the old chestnut, "Eye of the Tiger." Oh, boy. Bring on the live music, please?

Splits, Mile 6-10: 8:54, 9:06, 9:06, 9:13, 9:24 (overall pace 9:01, still on schedule)

I'm not sure, but I don't remember any music on the course to this point except the bagpipers. We headed down Duval and through the UT campus. I was recalibrating my goals for the day, in light of the weather and my HR numbers, which were still high for this sort of pace. I figured 4:10:00 would be an excellent goal, provided I kept up my current 9:20 sort of pace. I was still running the whole time, except for brief walks through the water stops for water in and on me. Passing the UT stadium, the first musical act blasted forth rock and roll, which boosted my spirits, if not my pace. As I crossed the half marathon mark, I looked longingly at those folks who got to finish their day there. Evel was announcing people, and it was tough to know that I was only halfway finished. I crossed the half marathon mark at 1:59 and change, with no real hope of my 4:00:00 finish, but with reasonable expectations of a 4:10 still. I walked some of that steep hill just after the half marathon mark, to try to get my HR under control. My third GU was at the water stop just past the halfway mark. Up and over that hill, and we enjoyed the downhill bit to Congress Avenue and the high school stage band playing at the corner of 6th Street. They were playing a sort of defunkified version of "Brick House," but it still bounced enough to make me happy. Turning onto 6th, at least the sun was behind us. For a while, I think we got overcast during this spot, but it didn't last more than 30 minutes. Down the familiar territory of 6th Street and onto Lake Austin Blvd we went. The 3:50 and 4:00 pace groups passed me by now. I was walking a little more now, on uphill bits, but was mainly ambulatory still. Mile 15 was a welcome sight, but I still had a long way to go.

Splits, Mile 11-15: 9:22, (9:34, 9:34), (10:02, 10:02) Overall pace 9:15, still okay for 4:10 finish if I could get back my snap.

Easing up to Lake Austin Blvd and the out and back portion of the course, the sun was out again, and with the humidity, it was becoming really tough out there. I saw Frank turning onto Veterans Blvd. and mentally calculated that he still had a shot at something in the 3:40 range. Then, behind him, I saw Alex with the 3:40 pace group, so his day wasn't going as planned. The 3:45 group came by on the other side, and later, I saw Richard, so he had fallen prey to the elements as well. Jan looked to be moving along pretty well, but I couldn't gauge her pace. The band near Mangia played a different sort of "Brown Eyed Girl," which was at least live music. I guess I lost some motivation during mile 17, going to the outward pylon. I know that I walked a fair amount on a slight uphill. I took my first gulp of Enervitene there, just after I made the turnaround. At least I was heading back towards the finish now! I saw other folks as I made my way along mile 18, and my spirits rose as I realized that I was ahead of a lot of people that I knew. Mile 18 was better, and even mile 19 was okay, as I furiously calculated the chances of a 4:20 finish. If only I could maintain 10 minute miles!! Right before the mile 19 marker, another high school band was playing "Tequila," and I couldn't resist. I stopped right in front of them, and did the Pee Wee Herman dance for a few seconds. Several other runners stopped right with me and did the same thing, spontaneously. It was a light moment on a tough day. Let the record show that my quads both almost cramped from assuming that dance position. After that bit of levity, I slogged forward, back into the sun, on mile 20. The massive crowds forming a Tour de France type human tunnel near the 20 mile marker was helpful, pushing me along into a jog at least, but by now, I was realizing that most of my goals weren't reachable. Only 10K to go, though.

Splits, Mile 16-20: 10:12, 10:57, 10:16, 10:25, 11:53 (!) Overall pace 9:37.

If I could get to a 10:30 sort of pace from there, I could at least get my Masters PR of 4:21, but that seemed a bridge too far. By now, I was taking fluids at every water stop and pouring another cup of water on my head to try and cool down, but nothing seemed to help for long. There was some good blues played at mile 21, but I was pretty much used up by now. I slogged along, jogging the flats and downhills, and walking anything that looked like an incline. By now, I was having to assure the medical people that I was okay as I crept along. The band at the softball fields around mile 22 or so was playing a mournful tune, which wasn't exactly good for those of us running. It was a good song, but not appropriate. Down mile 23, I saw three guys sitting on the side of the course, stretching quads, hamstrings and/or calves, as they tried to fight off cramps. Finally reaching Longhorn Dam, I at least knew the end was near. My splits now were pretty bad, and my HR hadn't dropped that much, really. It was down from the peak around mile 15, but still high, especially considering my current pace. The band at the top side of the dam was on break, and their PA was blaring Rush ("Tom Sawyer") for us. Okay, I guess. Reaching the little sharp hill up to Lakeshore Drive, I heard the happy strains of the Monkee's "Stepping Stone." The band was pretty good, but they weren't nailing the harmony vocal parts. Obviously, they needed help. I looked around (mentally) and decided that I was the perfect assistant and teacher. As they launched into the second chorus, I reached the guitarist and joined him on the mic for vocal harmonies. He was startled, but once he heard that I was on pitch, he laughed and let me join in. After that chorus, I moved on, my job done for that band.

From there, it was more of the same, mostly walking up the Riverside hills, and passing Greta at the peak of the last hill, with her Iyo Ngwe Gazelles sign. My quads screamed as I jogged down that last hill. With just a mile to go, I just couldn't find any motivation to start jogging again. I wasn't being passed that much, either. For the last 10k, there was a giant crowd of walking wounded runners. Yet another PA system blasted out "Eye of the Tiger." Geez... With a half mile to go, I took a Twizzler and a small cup of beer from the Hash House Harriers table, shouted "On, On!" and moved on myself. Fighting off a wave of blue, I finally reached the mile 26 marker, and decided to suck it up for at least the last 385 yards. I passed through the huge crowds there, running as best as I could, and even saw Mary Anne and the kids as they shouted out my name. I have never been as glad to see a finishing line, I think. I hope I held my head up at the finish, but I'm not sure. Wearily, I kept moving for a bit, and then gathered myself for a few seconds with my hands on my knees as another wave of depression pulled through me. So many miles of training, so many hours, and all I got was 4:28:13. I was choked up, but moved on through the chute. The work was done.

Splits, miles 21-26.2: 11:20, 11:51, 12:22, 12:48 (includes musical break ), 12:52, 12:40, 1:58 (9:22 pace for the finish at least). Overall 10:14 pace. I had missed most of my goals, but I had clipped off 20 minutes from last year's time. Improvement, at least.

Making my way forward, I got the very nice medal, found my baggage, and chugged the bottle of water offered. As I rejoined my family on the other side, on the way to the Distance Challenge area, I was still choked up as they asked how I did. It took a few tries before I could tell them my time. When you're exhausted and disappointed, it's hard to control your emotions. The DC finish area was very nice. They had beer and mimosas, water and Powerade of course, and all sorts of nice snacks and food. I gathered up a bunch of stuff, including plenty for the kids, and we settled down outside by Frank and Alex. The Finishers shirt was nice, and the DC finishers item was a nice long-sleeved zip front running shirt. Maybe it'll get cool again sometime, so I can wear it this year.

Now that the race was over, it was clear that the weather had pounded us all. Frank ran a fine 3:55, considering the circumstances. Alex fought off injury just to finish, but still destroyed his existing PR. Richard also blasted his PR. Diana and Margaret qualified for Boston, despite everything. There were a couple of Gazelles who DNF'd, which never happens, it seems. We ate and drank, changed into dry shirts and shoes, and wound down from the long day. I met Alex's parents, Richard's wife, and assorted other friendly folks. Henry stopped by, and he ran almost the same time I did.

After a while, we were refueled enough to head home. Frank and I made the long walk to the cars, and we were off. I got a big Dr. Pepper and a bag of ice on the way home, and once there, made a nice ice bath to soak the legs in as I drained that Dr. Pepper down. I wasn't too hungry still, but I craved liquids. Even after the bath, I was still over 5 pounds lighter than I was at 4:20 am. That's not good. A hot shower finished off the process, and I was a little more at peace. My legs weren't too bad, just heavy, I wasn't injured, and I'll be able to run soon enough. By the time the Gazelles party at Gilbert's house was over, I was really okay, mentally.

So, once again, I've learned that I'm not a great warm/hot weather runner, and I've still got work to do to get to 4:00:00. But, that will come in time. I'm looking forward to two weeks mostly off of running, and my mid-week massage. The Spring Racing Season beckons, and there's always the Indy Mini Marathon coming up, too. Redemption is just around the corner, if I'll just continue working.


1 comment:

Paco said...

Great race report! You did really well given the conditions. Sub 4 will come soon!