Friday, November 05, 2004

Rest Day

Another beautiful day here in Austin today. But, I'm staying on schedule and taking this day as a full off day. I've got runs Saturday through Tuesday, and an off day today is important for that stretch of workouts. I've read that rest days and easy run days are easily as important as the harder days in a weekly training schedule, and I agree with that. The body needs time to recover between hard efforts, and that makes those longer or more stressful runs easier to accomplish.

We've talked about it amongst our long run group, and we've promised ourselves that we will stay on pace tomorrow for the recovery 10 miler. We can pick it up over the last 2 miles or so, but not until then. After that is the stretching session with the rest of the Gazelles. Tomorrow, I also hope that RunTex has gotten in their next shipment of Mizunos, so I can pick up a new pair of shoes to start working into the shoe rotation. With the heavier mileage we're doing, shoes don't last as long, and I like to have two good pairs of shoes so that I can alternate pairs when I'm running several days in a row.

A lot of my running pals are doing New York on Sunday, so that will be both exciting and nerve-wracking tracking their progress online as they tour the five boroughs of NYC.

No comments: