Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Two and a Half Laps at a Time

Today we got to have fun with track running, 5 x 1000m at Austin High School. It was pretty tough conditions today, really warm (80 degrees) and steamy (the rain came as I left RunTex), so the workout was a little tougher than it would have been otherwise. We had a good crew that chattered comfortably as we trundled over to the track, and except for having to do some cross-country work to avoid the overflow from the lake (they're running lots of water through all the dams, trying to release gradually all the recent rainwater), it was a pleasant run.

Drills and then the 50/50/50/50... deal, and it was time to go. Rogue was there doing some sort of circuit workout, so the track was pretty crowded. The group to which I was assigned by G was large in number, but we'd string out fairly soon. He wanted us to aim for 4:20-4:30 per 1000m, which he said would be "easy." Um, not so much. I came into the workout thinking 4:30-4:40 per 1000m would be about right. At any rate, off we went, and after a really slow first lap (my fault), I managed to dial it back down so that we finished the first 1000 close to the 4:30 target. 200m of walk/jog, and then Number Two. That one was better paced, but the overall time was about the same as the first. The third was about the same time as well, but when I finished, there were only two other folks with me at the end. The rest of the group had paired up and matched up in smaller pods behind us. That made perfect sense to me. When I got ready to start the fourth repeat, no one else was ready to go, so I just took off on my own. That turned out to be my fastest repeat of the day. I asked Gilbert whether I should do 5 or 6 repeats as I got back to the starting line, and of course he said "For you, six." Okey dokey. Accordingly, I held back just a bit on that fifth repeat, knowing I had to do six. Time was still pretty good, or at least it was consistent. By the time I finished, though, G had changed his mind, and stopped most of us after 5 repeats. I knocked out 3 x 200m striders, and I thought I did pretty well with those. Gilbert did yell across the track on the third one for me to "Butt Kick!," and I tried to respond. After that, I was done.

The times: 4:34, 4:35, 4:33, 4:28, 4:32. Average repeat was 4:32, 7:18/mile pace. I'm slower than I was at this time last year. But, I'll get that back by the end of Chicago training. These paces are about right for a 3:35-3:45 marathon goal, though, according to most sources.

I ran back to RunTex with Vasil and Frank, and had a good time chatting away. I was drenched upon completion, of course, and when I went over to stretch, I think I was actually a little light-headed. I had to rest a bit just to get enough energy to stretch. It was fun to chat with Laura and Colleen, who are leaving Austin for varying amounts of time this weekend.

When I got home, I checked my weight out of curiosity, and I was still down 3 pounds from my morning weight. That's after all the cups of water and Accelerade during the workout and the 12 ounces of Endurox, and even some more Gatorade consumed on the ride to RunTex and then back home. Three pounds in a single speedwork session. Dang. Anyway, it was a good workout, despite my slightly slower times compared to last year. I scored some 7.8 miles total. This will be a bigger mileage week for me, well over 30 miles, so that's cool to bump up over that numerical barrier. Hopefully, I'll get to the gym later on today after I replenish some fluids and mail off the Garmin to RepairWorld.

No comments: