Thursday, June 07, 2007

Let's Go Crazy

Today is Prince's birthday, so I had to lead off with a song title, right? I like his music, but he is sort of Michael Jackson weird, in a purple sort of way. I guess musical/artistic genius is often tied in with, let's say, eccentricities. John Lennon had a beautiful Rolls Royce limousine painted in psychedelic scrawls back in the mid-60's, for instance. And there's the whole Brian Wilson (Beach Boys) playing in the sandbox (literally) for months deal, too. Oh, well.

As for my workout day, today was a successful Day Two in my Return To... Program. I hit Gold's after I dropped Jake off at his high school orientation deal, and started off with some easy spinning on the cycle, on almost no resistance, just to get my legs pumping a bit. 10 minutes. Then some good stretching, which revealed nothing in the way of bad stuff happening. I'm a little tight after yesterday's tempo race, but no pains, so I'm pretty happy with that.

I did the floor exercises to start off the Core portion of the workout, and it wasn't as tough as it was on Tuesday. That's either a good sign, or it's a function of having done circuit on Monday and then the gym on Tuesday. Who knows? Anyway, I added the plank series to the Core stuff today, 45 seconds each, and two rounds of those. Next time, I'll get back to the Roman Chair deals, which I despise, but are good for you.

For the leg exercises today, I did 2 sets of everything, and actually except for leg press, I'm pretty much at the same reps and weights that I last used for legs. That's not bad. I guess I have been running all this time, so those muscles have been used.

That's it for today. Tomorrow, if I follow through, I'll be back at the gym for actual cycling, then core and upper body weights. I'll get out tonight for 50-60 minutes of HR running, where I adjust pace to keep my HR pretty low for a true recovery effort. For me, that means 150-155 bpm, which is in my 60-65% zone. For Frank, I think that would be coming up on half marathon HR. We're all different, though. Know your body and all that kind of stuff...

2 comments:

Paco said...

Keep it up...those gym workouts really make a difference.

Jay said...

Thanks, Frank. I know how much it helps, from past experience. I'm just a lapsed convert who is trying to mend his ways. :-)