Thursday, March 24, 2005

Time Trial ("Tempo Run")

This morning (overcast, 53 degrees) was all about one of Gilbert's Tempo Runs, which as I've said before are much closer to time trials with our group. Short warmup and drills were uneventful. I felt pretty tired and stiff still, so I figured I'd go out easier than usual, and just try and roll through this instead of trying to blast it, especially since Frank and I are going long tomorrow morning. I lined up near the back, by Joseph, Amy and Jan, and we were off. Jan took off and got about 50 yards ahead in the first half mile. Joseph also went ahead after a half mile. Amy and I ran together through mile 1 (8:03), and then she picked it up during mile 2 to pull some 50 yards ahead. I was slowly catching up with Jan through mile 2, but she still had 10-15 yards on me at the turnaround (7:40 / 15:43 for halfway). I felt okay, but fighting stiff or tired legs was getting me down a bit. Third mile, I held Amy in sight up ahead, but every time I'd close on Jan a little, she'd pick it up just enough to keep that gap on me. Mile 3 was 7:36. In the last mile, we passed another Gazelle, but that gap remained between Jan and me, and I crossed the line for a mile 4 of 7:52. I did do a negative split, as Gilbert expects, by 15 seconds. Overall, 31:10, my slowest time on this in a while, average pace a respectable 7:48. Jan finished about 3 seconds ahead of me, for a big "PR" on this workout for her.

4 striders on the grass there afterwards. Then, we did 15 minutes or so of Gilbert's balance and form drills. I chatted with Frank a bit afterwards, did a little stretching, and headed back to the house. It was an average day at the running office, but still acceptable.

No comments: