Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Am I Turning Into Alex?

Today, I exchanged a nice little outdoor recovery run for the usual indoor cycle warmup at the gym. I ran 3.8 miles in the 'Hood, 9:39 pace, keeping the HR under the recovery range beeper. Everything felt just great, and I'm glad to have that nagging hamstring tightness gone. After yesterday's Wilkie hills, I felt really good. I ran at high noon, more or less, to start acclimating to the spring time heat. It was really bright and sunny, very windy, and maybe 70 degrees. It felt good to get out there and start running on consecutive days for the first time since Freescale. After running, I changed clothes, and dashed over to the gym in the car.

At the gym, I made some very nice strides in improving my numbers on all the arm/upper body exercises, which was very gratifying. It was a little odd doing lunges in the freeweight area with a barbell over my shoulders, but I found a circuitous path that allowed me to get 5 lunges on each leg before I had to turn around to finish each 10 lunge set. Adding the lunges wasn't that big of a deal, after all. And on tricep extensions, I did some basic math, and if I do those holding onto one 15 pound dumbbell, I don't feel like such a wimp doing that exercise. It was a good gym session, a good run, and a great day altogether. It's just spectacular out there this afternoon. A great day to live in Austin!

No comments: