Monday, January 30, 2006

Short People Ain't Got No Reason To Live

Geez. Today it was announced and confirmed that we all ran a slightly short course at 3M on Sunday. The course monitors failed to send us down a very small detour near Shoal Creek, just after the 10K timing mat and before the relay exchange point. We ran the proper course last year, but this year, they just missed it. So, we ran almost exactly a tenth of a mile short on the day. That mysterious mile 7 was actually .9 long. Dammit. So, adding in 48 seconds (8:00/mile pace at the time for a tenth of a mile), I missed my lifetime PR by 37 seconds after all. Let the record show that the new 37 second gap is probably exactly what I wasted in the port-o-john during mile 4. And, I don't know if I would have cranked it up much more than I did, had the course been properly monitored. Maybe, maybe not.

Still, it was a great race for me, and I have to accept that. As for the PR, I think honor requires that I reinstate that 1993 Atlanta Half Marathon 1:44:04 as my lifetime best. Maybe I'll get the proper PR at Indy in May. Gives me a real race goal for Indy, now, that's for sure.

No comments: