Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Blowing In The Wind [Recovery running]

This morning, it was blustery. Winds around 15-20 mph, seemingly in our faces the whole way (sort of the old "it was uphill both ways" adage...), with temperatures a relatively mild 48 degrees. Wind chill made it seem much cooler, but that's just whining. I was dressed appropriately, and hey, we're runners. Rain, hail, sleet or snow, and we're pretty much good to go. Anyway, it was early when Jan, Frank and I started out on the 7 mile trail loop for our easy recovery run this morning. It was nice to have Jan with us, who's still working on recovery from her Achilles injury back in December. It was a chance at super slow speed to catch up on what's happening with everyone, and believe me, we ran nice and easy. With the couple of stops included, we averaged 10:20/mile, without the stop time, it was a still slow 10:00/mile. My legs felt fine after about a half mile, and after that, it was fun out there this morning.

We wrapped things up with the sun still barely above the horizon, and Frank and I even did 5 x striders on the grass there at Auditorium Shores. Altogether a very satisfying run, and most of the debris left over after Wilke was worked out of my body. After Frank left, I hung around and chatted briefly with Gilbert, Shannon, Amy, Thon and Erine, among others.

7 miles, at the aforementioned 10:20/mile blazing pace.

Gymtastic!

After the recovery running, I made my way up to Gold's for the first weight workout of the week. I did the full core workout, full leg workout (two sets of everything again after taking it easy last week), and the full upper body workout. Finished it off in a sprightly 50 minutes while listening to a Podcast on the iPod. Talk radio. This was a pretty satisfying workout, and a nice finish to the exercise day. After that, I went by Target to get some materials to repair and restring the marimba that my mother has given Sarah. Mom had this instrument when she was a kid, and has saved it all these years. It's really nice to have the luxury of a nice marimba like this, and it will be even nicer to never hear those awful bell kits that Sarah has had previous to this. I've had to manufacture felt spacers, which has taken a while, and the restringing process is tedious, but it will be nice when I'm done. I've finished the "black keys" and am now started on the "white keys." I know you're terribly interested in that. :-)

No comments: