Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Recovery Running in Lufkin

This morning, I ran a pretty relaxed route through Lufkin again. The weather was clear and cool enough, probably in the 50's. I basically just wandered around old neighborhoods, and today added a trip by my elementary school, following the route that I used to take on my bike as I rode to school back in the day. More nostalgia, I guess. I didn't want to get out there today, and tried to negotiate with myself about doing the run after I got home to Austin, but that just seemed silly. After Dad went to the office, I went ahead on out there, and got the workout done. Turned out to be a lot of fun.

Somewhere in the second mile of the run, a dog started tagging along with me, and accompanied me for the rest of the workout. She trailed behind me about 50 feet, and just appeared to want to get her work in, as well. Life in a small town with no leash laws...

Ended up with just over 7 miles, right at 9:00 pace, and I'm glad I got out there after fighting the mental demons. I also did a fair amount of stretching once I got inside, while I chatted with Mom.

It was a nice trip home and all that, but I'm glad that I'm finished with driving long distances for a while! Time now to focus on the 20 miler this Sunday and try and formulate my race plan. Gilbert has promised to give out individualized assignments for the race, as he thinks it's too long of a race to really push, this close to our goal marathon. Maybe he'll clue me in tomorrow? I will also try and get back to the gym tomorrow after the fartlek workout, since it's been about two weeks since my last gym work.

No comments: