Tuesday, January 03, 2006

2005 Stats (And Year in Review)

2005 was a new PR for total mileage for the year, with 1505.4 miles. In almost every month, I was ahead of last year's numbers on monthly mileage, too. Number of runs went up from 172 to 192, or 14/month. My average pace on runs was way faster, too. I've had really strong PR's at virtually all distances this year, at least Masters PRs. I've got a shot at some lifetime PR's in 2006, at the marathon and half marathon distances. I even managed to drop a few pounds, shedding 7 pounds from last December to this December 31st. All of this is good stuff.

I think having an injury-free year and adding the weight training is where most of the improvement occurred. And, running fast helps you to run fast, so increased intensity is part of the equation as well. In 2005, I actually did most of the things that Gilbert has suggested, and lo and behold, I became a stronger and faster runner. Go figure. :-)

I've been patient with my Gazelles training since joining in March 2004, putting in the time and effort, and since September, it seems that everything is coming together in a big way. Now, I only have to get my mental powers focused on the hard effort that will be required to deliver the big payoff at Freescale 2006. Physically, I'll be ready. I'm hoping that the RunTex 20 Miler on Sunday will give me the remaining internal strength that I'm seeking, and then we've only got one more 20+ miler after that in training to top off the physical side. The marathon is much closer than it seems possible, but I'm going to be ready.

Goals for 2006? I break them out in a few categories:

Training

1. Adhere to the Gazelles training calendar, and try not to skip the "recovery" runs that I sometimes ditched in 2005.
2. Keep up the gym work, tapering it a bit before Freescale, and then getting back after. In the summer, experiment with some periodization of weight training, going for bigger weights and lower reps to build some strength in my running "off season."
3. Try some cross-training after Freescale and in the summer, substituting some cycling for easy runs for a change of pace.
4. Stick with my new plan of only one marathon per year. It's been fun being able to keep those long summer runs to the 12-15 mile range instead of trying to get in some 20 milers in the August and September heat.

Racing

1. Use RunTex 20 Miler and 3M Half Marathon as training tools, not all-out races, aiming at Freescale Marathon on 2/19.
2. Sub-4:00:00 at Freescale marathon. Truly, all I want is a 3:##:## on my chip time, which would be a lifetime PR, and my fastest marathon by some 21 minutes in the last 6 years. Anything under 3:59:59 is a bonus. More specific goals for Freescale will be set after consulting with Gilbert and a host of predictive computer models. Note that this was also my goal last year, and the year before, and...
3. Lifetime PR attempt (1:44:04, 7:57/mile pace) for half marathon at Indy 500 Half Marathon in May. Based on my fall racing season, this is a reachable goal on the very flat Indy course.
4. Sub-7:00 paced 5K and take a shot at 47:00 in the 10K.
5. Improve my race PR's for the 2006 Distance Challenge races in the fall.

Miscellaneous

1. Continue to try to improve my nutrition, especially my Dr. Pepper habit and occasional candy attacks.
2. Try to whittle my body weight down just a little more, or at least burn off some more of the "goo" that seems to stubbornly cling to my midsection.
3. And, for the 25th year in a row, I would like to slay my personal dragon of procrastination, which creeps into many phases of my life. Maybe I'll start working on that later. Joke!

No comments: