Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Back To The Gym!

After a lackluster week of training last week, it was great to get back to the gym today. Once I get there, I enjoy the workout, but it's sometimes hard to overcome inertia and get myself out of the house and to the gym. Warmup was on the exercise cycle again, 30 minutes at a slightly higher resistance, and I tried to keep the pedal action at about 90 rpm. It was harder work, but still I only got HR up to very casual running levels.

I added the dreaded "Canoe" crunches to the regular routine today. On the leg stuff, I skipped the 4-way hip machine because my legs were a little tired from yesterday's 800's. I did all the other leg stuff, though. I bumped up to 80 lbs on bench press today, which was pretty cool. By the end of the summer, I hope to be up to 100 lbs on bench. Surely that's a reasonable goal? The upper body stuff went very well. I'm about ready to move up in weight on a couple more of those exercises. I timed myself casually today, and I found that the ab/core stuff was the biggest chunk of time, at just over a half hour. The somewhat abbreviated leg exercises were about 15 minutes, and the upper body stuff was 20 minutes or so.

Tomorrow, Gilbert is calling an audible, so we'll be doing some sort of "medium" track work, depending on what sort of racing we've got coming up. Should be fun!!

Oh, yeah, Frank checked the super long-range forecast for Indy's race weekend, and it appears to be perfect racing weather (lows in the 40's, highs around 65). I'd be overjoyed if we got great running weather for the Mini! Time to keep the old fingers crossed...

No comments: