Saturday, February 17, 2007

AT&T Goals

Okay, here's the whole goal thing. We're going to have great weather tomorrow, it looks like, so that's one less thing to be concerned with. Awesome!

I'm going to run with the 3:45 pace group tomorrow. My Distance Challenge times tell me that I should theoretically be able to run 3:35-3:37, but I'm allowing a cushion for the marathon. In the past, I've usually made the mistake of going out too hard, where even 10 seconds per mile early can be a really bad thing later in the race. So, I'm giving up my pacing issues to the pace group tomorrow. Given that I seem to thrive on the group strength in training, why not see if that works in the race?

3:45 would be an 11 minute marathon PR, which would not be too shabby. If I'm feeling great, then I might try to push it late in the race. I certainly know the course very well, so once we get to Red River (mile 22) will be the time to figure out if I'm going to stick with the pace group or not. This is assuming I'm still with them at that point, for good or bad.

My major race goal is to finish strong. I've only had a solid finish to a marathon a couple of times in 14 previous attempts, and as I recall, it's a lot more fun to be passing people in those last miles than to be the guy shuffling along and getting dusted by dozens of people late.

So, I'm giving up the Distance Challenge corral privilege for tomorrow, lining up with the 3:45 pace banner, and taking a shot at yet another PR this racing season (I've set PR's at every race starting with Motive, so it would be nice to continue that streak). As we go through the hills, I may let the elastic band stretch a bit on the inclines, especially if the group seems to be powering up the hilly bits early. I know there's plenty of downhills and flatter stretches where I can catch back up, gently. The main thing I want to avoid with the pace groups is having to chop my steps or otherwise change my running stride to accomodate the group. Hopefully, that won't be an issue.

I've got my GU, my Enervitene, my racing shoes (Fila Providence III), my post-race gear bag, my trash bag pre-race vest, gloves, hat, and my lucky racing outfit (although I'm not superstitious). I've done the training, I'm rested and sharp, and basically I'm just ready to get this thing going. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hopefully, I'll actually get some sleep tonight.

Race report to be posted once I finish stuffing my face with post-race Mangia!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jay- Have a super awesome race. All the work and smart planning you have put in during training will pay off tomorrow. I'll look forward to hearing all about it.
Lisa (fellow gazelle)