Saturday, January 06, 2007

Super Easy Running (again)

It's the Day Before A Big Race, so as per the usual program, we met late (at 7:45) for a really easy 30 minutes of running. I dropped off coolers early on Mt. Bonnell, so I took a somewhat fitful nap for 45 minutes in my car waiting on everyone to arrive. At least I didn't sleep through the start of the run this time!

For a change, we took the Really Easy part to heart, and burbled along at a nice 10:00/mile pace for 3 miles. The conversation was light, and there was some discussion of tomorrow's MGP for the last 15 miles of the race. Sue will probably be running with me, and possibly Amy and some others in my pace tribe. The long run group will almost certainly start the day together for the first 5 miles, and then will slowly shift into our respective MGP. At least the weather is supposed to be pretty nice!

Once we were done jogging, we did a bunch of strides (I did 8), and then Gilbert had us doing his hopping and balance drills for a while. Those are fun because we probably look so silly to other runners out on the trail.

Stretching was at RunTex, and we were done. I picked up my race packet with Alex, and that was that. I like this year's race shirt...it's a Back In Black sort of design in a technical shirt.

Race Goal for tomorrow? Just like Gilbert suggests: Easy 5 miles at standard long run pace, then shift to 8:30-8:35 miles for the rest of the run, with a possible modest fast finish over the last 2 miles, speeding up maybe 15-20 seconds/mile at the end. I'll try and run smart on the hills, backing off on the inclines and getting the time back on the downhills and flats, but I'm going to try and not overly obsess over pace tomorrow. It's mostly a standard long run, just a little quicker and without the more casual water stops. My PR at this distance is from last year, my only other 20 mile race, 2:56:47 (8:50/mile).

No comments: