Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Easy Running

My quads were pretty darned beaten up all day today. It was a classic case of 2DOS, or 2nd Day Onset Soreness. It was such that I really wasn't looking forward at all about running today, easy or not. I just couldn't imagine how it was going to feel out there if I felt that bad just moving around in my normal day. So, I tried to talk myself out of the easy recovery run on the schedule. I successfully avoided it until about 5:30pm, when I finally decided that I had no excuse, and if it was just awful, I could always just turn around.

I hit the road about a quarter till 6:00, and that first half mile or so was indeed an adventure. I ran quite slowly, letting my legs come to terms with my mistreatment of them, and finally, about the time I finished that first mile in the 'Hood, we decided to cooperate with each other, and the run was to continue. Man, that was a long sentence! With each mile after that, the running got better and better, and except for a couple of longer downhill bits (which were pretty rough on the quads), I enjoyed the run tonight.

I ended up with right at 6.5 miles, about an hour of running, and that was just what the doctor (or Coach Tuhabonye) ordered. I did some balance drills outside before coming inside for stretching, and my legs really did feel better after all that. I knew I had to get this run in so that tomorrow morning's 2000m repeats weren't just total death on my legs. Now, I can almost imagine that it will be okay tomorrow with the Gazelles. At least that's my hope. :-)

No comments: