Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Baby Steps

Today, after taking Monday off, I eased back into the exercise world. So far, I've gone to Gold's and done some cycling (18 minutes to warmup), some stretching (a good 15 minutes), and some exquisite torture with the foam roller, to which I was previously not introduced. I saw it over there, and decided to test it out on my sore quads, and it was, uh, something! It was much like the toughest parts of the massage treatments I've received in the past, albeit with some control on my part as to letting up on the torture. Zowie! After I was done, though, I could tell that I had done some good on my legs. From my post-run cataloging of aches and pains, it appears that the 20 miler mostly pounded my quads, with some minor foot arch soreness. Calves and hammies are feeling remarkably good. After that stretching and rolling, I did Core II, the one with the planks, and then did a single set full routine of the leg weights, to accelerate the healing process. The leg weights always make me feel better the next day, so I'm counting on that.

It was a good visit to the gym, and now I may have to go find a foam roller to add to the arsenal of home remedies for leg knots and soreness.

After that, I went home and put the Christmas stuff up in the attic, and got sidetracked with a bunch of garage cleaning. We've got junk piled everywhere in there, and it's way past time to get it organized and cleared up. So, although it appears to be about a weeklong project, I'm encouraged by the start I made today.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to do a super easy 60 minute run this evening in the 'Hood.

And, for those keeping track, I've probably put $50 worth of change back into the U.S. currency circulatory system since my little coin dispersal project was begun some weeks ago. Every time I think I'm almost done, I find another little pile of coins somewhere in the house to add to the mix. It's kind of like finding "free money," since it was obviously out of our pockets all this time. The latest stash was found out in the garage over the weekend, when I found a jar with a bunch of coinage in it. Sweet! :-)

No comments: