Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Semi-Easy Running + Gym

It was dark this morning at 5:45am, and seemingly the sun didn't pop up over the horizon until about 7:00, but that didn't stop Emily and me from enjoying a 7 mile recovery effort around Town Lake. We started out nice and easy, but her natural easy pace is a little snappier than we usually go, so we ran quicker than normal. It worked out fine, and it wasn't that crazy fast, but we did drop down to what will probably be my marathon goal pace for about half of the run. It was fun to get caught up on her life and the pending wedding plans, and it was certainly nice for both of us to have a running partner to get us outdoors on a chilly morning. It was easy to dress properly for the weather, though, and I enjoy cold weather, so 35 degrees felt fine to me!

We ended up with 7 miles at just under 9:00/mile pace, and we even did 4 striders to finish things off. It was one of those deals where my first instinct this morning was to wait until later to run, but I'm glad I just kept moving and did the run early.

After bundling up in dry clothes, and chatting with Amy for a bit, I headed up to Gold's for the recovery day workout. Once there, I did most of the full leg stretching, and then hit the floor for core exercises. Today was floor exercises and planks. It's getting better each time I go, but the ab work is still the least fun that I have in the gym. After that, I did the full set of leg exercises, and as usual, that felt good. I did some extra stretching before each set of leg weights, just to enhance the recovery aspects of the workout. Good one!

So, another day passes that includes check marks in all workout boxes on the old daily planner. Now, what is going to be my MGP for Sunday's 20 miler (at least for the 15 miles that will be at MGP)?...

No comments: