Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Bi-Cycle, Bi-Cycle!

Today, I decided to substitute some indoor cycling for a recovery run. I went to Gold's and did 30 minutes on the bike, watching the funny people around me in the gym. There was one woman who, uh, well, I believe she was interested in having folks check her out. There is no other explanation that I can derive that brings any sense to the workout gear that she had donned. The workout pants (the long stretchy kind) could not have been worn a millimeter lower, and the upper garment was equally brief. Naturally, her workout routine was to do about 10 minutes on the elliptical, take a break, walk all the way across the gym for a drink of water, and then repeat. I could be terribly wrong, of course, but it appears that she intended for people to stare. She spent most of her time looking around to see who was seeing her. It was amusing to see the guys sidling up to the elliptical machine nearest her, and commencing their workout. I guess this is the equivalent of a singles bar, at least without the alcohol. Funny, really.

Anyway, back to what I was actually doing. 30 minutes on the cycle, which was fun. I spun along at 90-95 rpm, and my legs felt really good doing that. After the cycle, about 15 minutes of stretching, and then a core workout (the one with the Roman Chair evil exercises). I finished things off with the recovery day leg workout, back to two sets of everything. My legs felt pretty rejuvenated as a result.

I grabbed a quick lunch and then Ron did his post-long run massage magic for me. I only had to grit my teeth a few times, this time. I think the foam roller stuff that I've started has helped break up the junk in my legs better, so that Ron's deep tissue work doesn't have to start with breaking up knots. At least that's my theory.

Tomorrow, I'll do the fartlek workout on my own here in the 'Hood, and Thursday will actually be a recovery run type day.

No comments: