Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Sad Goodbyes [Entered 10/27]

Tuesday, I attended the funeral of my hometown across-the-street neighbor back home in Lufkin. Not the father or mother, but their son. Reich Chandler was just 39 years old, devoted husband to Nancy, and father of 3-year old Sydney, their cute daughter. Reich was a clean-living, vibrant soul, and he was unfortunately one of those who gets cancer for no apparent reason. He fought valiantly and outlived his original prognosis, but succumbed in the end to that hateful disease.

Reich was 8 years younger than I was, so it was only after college that I really got to know him. Before that, he was the tennis prodigy (state and nationally ranked junior player) across the street who would always beat you, mainly by getting every single ball back over the net. He was the sort of guy for whom the term "high achiever" is woefully inadequate. Graduated summa cum laude both at Baylor undergrad and law school. Played varsity tennis at Baylor, and won his share of tournaments, mostly in doubles. He was Baylor's scholar-athlete in the then Southwest Conference. Dedicated and talented attorney. Tremendous friend who was always at the center of gatherings during and after college. Devoted father and husband. He was fortunate enough to join his father's law firm after a few years working for a large big-city firm in Dallas, and distinguished himself in both practices. Reich was always prepared, and even though he didn't win every single trial, any loss was usually on the merits of the case and not the fault of the plaintiff's attorney.

The eulogies from his three friends were magnificent. Reich will never be replaced in the circle of friends, judging from those comments. His father, George, seemed to take Reich's death the hardest, and that was not unexpected. George and Reich had the sort of father/son relationship that is both rare and wonderful. They worked together, played together, and shared a passion for life and for various interests that was exceptional. One has to be envious of such a thing. I can only hope that George and Martha find the strength and peace in the days, weeks, and years to come to continue to live their lives as Reich would have encouraged them to do.

I've had the pleasure of knowing George as a friend, which is unusual, I guess. He's in his 60's, and I'm not quite that old yet. But, we travelled to various 10K races around the state back when I was in college and shortly after college, and he even attended my bachelor weekend those many years ago. He's really my dad's friend, but George and I have a special bond as well. I think I hurt most for him under these circumstances.

So, I guess I write all this to encourage all of you to take the time to reach out to your friends, your family, and your children, and to tell them that you love them. Life can be cruel, and you can never tell those that you are closest to that you treasure their company enough. With cell phones and the Internet, it takes almost no time to do such a thing. Don't wait.

2 comments:

Paco said...

Very nice post...I am sorry for your loss. Reich sounds like a great guy.

Anonymous said...

Reich was great friend when we were young and a good man.
- John