Saturday, October 07, 2006

A Good Long Run (for a change) [Entered 10/8/06]

Saturday was much nicer, weather-wise, with temps a nice 71 degrees throughout the morning. Sure, the humidity was still high, but the 10 degree temperature drop was awesome! We were scheduled for 13-15 miles on the out and back Shoal Creek route. We started out running with and around the Chicago people, who were doing more or less the same distance. Our main group of AT&T people were Sue, Emily, Rachel, Wayne, Colleen, Jennifer, Javier and me. I'm probably missing someone, but I think that's most of the folks who finished up around me.

At any rate, off at 6:00am, and we really eased into the day's miles. I had suggested that we go for the Hancock water stop as our turnaround point, which would be something just short of 15 miles. The gang seemed amenable to that goal. Our first 3.35 miles were ripped off at a scintillating 10:15/mile. Now, that's still within range of our theoretical training pace, but on the slow side. After a fairly efficient 1:49 water/Powerade/GU stop, we got the train rolling again. We had probably 10-15 people around at this point, still.

Heading up Exposition after the water stop, I took the lead, and pushed the pace a little to get us back up to our normal training pace. That seemed to get everyone jumpstarted, and the whole mob continued at that better pace all the way up Exposition, over on 35th, and to the water/Powerade stop at Shoal Creek. Much better. We were now at 6.07 miles, at an average for the running bits at 9:41/mile. We had been around 9:00/mile for that stretch of the run.

Another water/Powerade stop knocked out (1:45), we dropped a few people who wanted to do just 12 miles, and moved on up Shoal Creek. Some more people turned towards the UT campus for a shorter return trip home, and by the time we reached the water/Powerade/GU stop at Hancock, we were down to about 8 people. Recharged, we turned back for the return leg of the journey. So far, we were at 7.4 miles, and our overall pace had dropped to 9:32/mile. That refreshment stop was 1:51.

Since we had only 4 miles or so to the O. Henry water stop, we skipped the return water/Powerade stop at Shoal Creek and 35th, and continued back over to Exposition. I suppose I kept pushing the pace along with everyone else, and we were getting awfully frisky, despite the nasty hills on Exposition. I was feeling way better than on the last several long runs, which was mostly due to the improved weather, but it still made me feel much better about my running. Reaching O. Henry, we were at 11.4 miles total, and our overall running pace had dropped again to 9:12/mile. That last Powerade/water stop was 1:46.

From there, I guess we felt a "fast finish" in us, and without a spoken command, we just kept pushing it. It was very cool to see a real fast finish for a change. I just hung with the pacemakers, and for the most part, we finished together. Our larger group splintered a little under the stress of the increased pace, but still about 6 of us finished in very good fashion. The others were not far behind. It was a very strong run by everyone.

For the day, a total run of 14.63 miles, with a running pace of 8:55/mile. With the four water stops included, we were still at a fine 9:22/mile overall pace for the entire workout. Very good work by the group today!

The splits: 10:44, 10:17, 9:55, 0.36 at 9:46/mile, 1:49 water/Powerade stop, then 9:12, 8:52, and 0.71 miles at 8:50 through the Exposition hills, 1:45 Powerade/water stop, then 8:52 and 0.31 at 8:55/mile, 1:51 water stop, and then turned around for return trip. Return trip went like this: 8:37, 8:54, 8:34, 8:17, 1:46 final water/Powerade stop, and fast finish in 8:10, 7:52, 7:50, and 0.23 in a swift 6:46/mile kick. Brian came up on me during the final half mile or so, and he really pushed me to catch back up with the front runners. Thanks, Brian!

4 quick striders, and then we did the full stretching while we took time out to do various group Gazelles pictures. It was sort of "School Picture Day" I suppose.

I was very pleased with this run. I was having some serious doubts about my running fitness, given the crummy IBM 10K and most of the longer runs lately. Nice to get back where I thought I was.

For the week, almost 36 miles, but only one gym visit. Sooner or later, I'll get back with it, but this was a good week for my psyche. Now, if the new cooler temperatures will just stay with us!!

1 comment:

Jay said...

Once the weather broke, most runs are a lot more fun. I hope you are continuing to recover yourself?