Saturday, October 28, 2006

Bonnell and Beyond [Entered 11/1/06]

Saturday, on a really great weather day, with temps in the low 50's, nice and crisp, we set out for a 15-16 mile effort. The course was Scenic, Bonnell, and then over Bonnell to the bar and back up and over. I like this route, especially when it's nice and cool. I was looking forward to the run today, and was a happy camper at the outset.

Our pace group turned into Colleen, Nelson, Rachel, Amy, Jennifer, Javier and Norma by the end of the run. There were a bunch of others with us through Bonnell, including Rich, but they only needed 13 miles or so, and didn't do the extra fun stuff on the backside of Bonnell today. We got started nice and relaxed, and then by the first powerade/water stop on Lake Austin Blvd., we had settled into our usual long run pace.

After tanking up there, we were off again, into the hilly portion of the festivities. Hitting Scenic, I pushed forward into the lead, and the gang tried to handicap me by asking for the "Bachelor Party" story again. I don't mind telling the story...on the run, but I think I run faster when I tell it, just because I relive the stresses of that long night's adventure by telling it. At any rate, the pace still picked up throughout the Scenic hills, despite my storytelling. We all got quiet once we started the assault on Mountain Bonnell, though, and each went to our internal happy place as we negotiated that big climb. Rachel and Nelson pushed me up the hill this morning.

We regrouped at the water/Powerade/GU stop on top of Bonnell, and the longer run gang headed on down the backside of Bonnell soon enough, adding a mile down and a mile back (interesting how that works on an out-and-back course!) up Bonnell. I'm starting to think that it's an easier climb up the backside of Bonnell for some reason, but it's still challenging. Anyway, another quick water/Powerade stop on top of Bonnell, and we were finally heading off the mountain for good!

We had a nice group of runners coming down Balcones Woods, and then pushed through the 35th Street/Exposition portion of the day. When you can count down the big hills, knowing them by heart, it sure makes it easier to finish off a run! We picked it up subtly throughout that stretch, and hit the O. Henry powerade/water/GU stop for the last time. Everyone seemed to be doing pretty well, and now it was time to finish this thing off.

I wasn't sure how much of a "fast finish" I had in me today, but there was only one way to find out. The largely downhill start to the fast finish from O. Henry launched us, and then by the time we hit the trail, Rachel and I were in some sort of high-speed death march for the last 2+ miles. Once again, we were waiting on each other to ease up, and neither of us did. I kept thinking I was slowing down since I was feeling pretty stressed, but it turns out we were just speeding up instead. It was an awesome fast finish for us, and we were happy to be done!

Splits: 10:12, 9:33, 9:13, 0.5 miles at 8:53/mile pace, 1:59 water/powerade stop, then 9:09, 8:50, 8:35, and the 0.5 mile assault on Bonnell at 9:01/mile pace, 2:40 water/powerade/GU stop on Bonnell, and then 8:44 down and 8:49 back up Bonnell. 1:42 water/powerade since we were there, and then down Bonnell at 8:34, 8:46, 8:31, and 0.28 at 8:45/mile, a quick 1:35 water/powerade/GU stop at O. Henry, and then fast finish at 7:47, 7:38, 7:15 (!), and 0.24 at 6:32/mile pace. Snappy finish, eh? Overall pace, including water stops, was a spiffy 9:11/mile for 15.45 miles. Actual running pace was a nice 8:40/mile.

I'm digging this newfound finishing speed. Anyway, strides done, it was time to stretch. This is where the morning got even more amusing. We set up stretching camp over near Palmer Auditorium, on a nice sunny corner. Auditorium Shores was taken up this weekend by the Orange County Chopper guys for a biker festival of sorts, so we couldn't use our normal spot. About 20 minutes into the stretching, a huge stream of choppers came parading around from Barton Springs Rd., and rolled into the grounds of the OCC production. I was curious why a Suburban with blacked-out windows led the parade, but later found out that OCC gave Guv Perry a chopper, and the Guv was apparently in the biker parade. The Suburban was Guv's "Secret Service" guys and gals. I did spot Mikey Teutel on his chopper, and there were some nice bikes in the mob. They were REALLY LOUD, THOUGH! People had to sort of watch and guess while we stretched during that 10 minute span.

Oh, yeah, as Rachel and I duelled to the finish, we passed a group of the Chicago Gazelles heading the other way on a nice relaxing walk on the trail. It was fun to see them out there, even in a flash passing like we did. Frank and his family, Jan (with her dog), Brad, Alex, and hmmmm, was there one more person? Anyway, they looked very happy to be out there gently reintroducing their legs to locomotion.

It was a great day of running, and that's alright by me. For the week, a modest 34.6 miles, since I missed my Tuesday recovery run. Good running in the meantime, though.

No comments: