Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Recovery Running

This morning, I went out for an easy recovery type effort in the 'Hood. It wasn't as nice and crisp outside as it has been, but that will change over the next few days. I did a couple of my upper neighborhood loops, with the water tower trail portion on both of them. Even added a little at the end to make sure I got to 7 miles (although I'm sure 6.3 miles would have been fine, too). Pace was pretty controlled until the last couple of miles, when I picked it up just a little bit. Nothing faster than 8:35/mile, and ended up with just over 7 miles, right at 9:00/mile pace. All systems go, and the run served its purpose. After I finished, I did some balance drills to loosen up my legs after the run, and that felt pretty darned good.

Gym Rat

After grabbing a snack, I headed up to Gold's for the first gym workout of the week. I started the festivities with the stretching routine, and that made my legs very happy. Since we did a fair amount of core stuff yesterday during and after the circuit workout, I just did the Roman Chair exercises and the Planks for core workout. (I'll do the other stuff tomorrow). I did the full leg series, though, and those exercises always make my legs feel better after having done them.

There was some fun people watching at the gym, as always, sort of like being at the zoo and watching the animals do their thing behind the bars and glass. There's an assortment of standard gym types, and I pass the time on some exercises by classifying the various folks into their group. This is all in my head, of course. I wouldn't want to get my butt kicked because I went up to someone and told them they fell into the "Stripper" or "Charles Atlas" category. :-) I would be put in the "Skinny Guy" category, naturally. It would be hard for anyone there to know WHY I'm there, but I guess they might peg me as a runner. I'm not in the "Body Builder," "Weight Loss," or "Looking For A Date" categories, so I fall into the "Skinny Guy" category by default. So much fun!

No comments: