Saturday, December 17, 2005

Climb Mountain Bonnell!

The title sounds so exciting, but we've run up Bonnell so often over the last year, it's become a bit of a ho-hum run. Still quite a challenging route for a longish run, but pretty familiar turf for the Gazelles. Weather was overcast, gloomy and cool (40 degrees), but the rain that we had feared did not materialize. Cold rain might be the worst of all possible winter weather for runners. Sleet or snow would be preferable, I think.

The gang gathered, and we got going at 6:00. There were lots of mileage options, but Gilbert had told me yesterday that 14 was just fine for our crew. After the usual early chaos as we all rolled out of the gate, my group settled in for the day ahead. Jennifer is still fighting off a bad cold or flu, so she wasn't there, but Rich, Amy, Shannon, and Brian were there as usual. Jan has an injured calf, so she's out for a while, I think. Margaret joined us for the first 5 miles or so, but was cutting off the run a little short to get home early.
Along Lake Austin Blvd., I was able to get rid of the song "Love Shack" by telling the gang about it, and after that, it was out of my head. We did a good job of pacing through the first water stop, and took that break at the boat docks water fountain. A fairly leisurely stop ensued, at 3:03, and then we got going again.

Once we hit the Scenic portion of the run, I guess I picked up the pace a little, or at least Rich pointed out the specific hill that I started pushing a bit. Funny, that. Still, I think the pace remained at a sane level through Scenic and to the base of Bonnell. Once we hit Mt. Bonnell, Rich and I sort of pushed on up, and although I don't think I ran it as hard as I have in the past, it was still a tough climb. Once we crested the hill, it was time for the blue Powerade and GU stop on top of Bonnell. The gang gathered back together, and after a second 3:02 stop, it was time to head down the mountain. So far, so good, and the weather was holding just fine. For me, this was almost perfect running conditions.

Splits miles 1-Bonnell (7): 9:36, 9:06, 9:21, 9:33 (first water stop here), then 9:20, 9:23, 9:07 (top of Bonnell). Average pace running 9:21, and with first water stop time, overall 9:47.

Heading down Bonnell, we passed Frank's people going the other way, since they were getting extra credit by doubling back from Balcones Woods and going back down Bonnell. Charlene joined us at the water stop and ran with us for the rest of the day. It seemed that no one was really feeling a need to push the pace today, which was fine with me. I wanted to try a "fast finish" as usual from the last water stop, so the pace during the run wasn't too important to me until then. Up 35th and then down Exposition, we stayed in a nice pack, and arrived at O. Henry middle school together for the last Powerade. Gilbert had mixed a very potent brew, and it was almost too thick to drink. We laughed about it. I decided I didn't need another GU at this point, and we were a little more efficient at this stop. Alex and Liliana came up behind us at the water stop, having done some extra mileage at the top of the mountain. A 2:05 stop, and we were heading for home.

Splits Bonnell - O. Henry: 9:23, 9:08, 9:05. Overall, down to 9:19/mile pace. With first two water stops, pace up to 9:54. Time for the fast finish.

Heading from O. Henry, I just started accelerating and found a good pace. I was running in the vicinity of Alex, Liliana and Rich, and the whole gang just strung out along Lake Austin Blvd as we ran back to the trail. Once we hit the trail, it was the same turf that we cover every tempo run, so I just kept chasing the three fast folks all the way to the tape. I wasn't able to keep right on their heels, but I was moving very nicely over the last 3 miles and change. Except for some heavy foot traffic on the trail heading towards us, I was having a good day. Once I crossed the finish line, I waited on the rest of the gang to finish, and then I coaxed Frank, Shannon and Brian to join me for a cooldown jog around Auditorium Shores. That easy running was nice after the hard finish. 5 or 6 striders on the grass finished things off. Good run, and really good finish.

Splits for fast finish: 8:06, 7:27, 7:26, 0.23 miles at 7:23/mile. Cooldown loop was .83 miles at 9:41/mile pace. With the cooldown lap, running pace for the day was 8:57/mile for 14.4 miles. Mileage was 13.6 without the cooldown lap. With all the water stop time, it slid to 9:31/mile. Good numbers. Except the assault up Mt. Bonnell and the fast finish miles, the run was comfortable. Just what the coach ordered, I'd say.

I put on a ton of clothes once we got back to RunTex, and was nice and toasty for the stretching session. Alex cracked me up during the stretching when I looked over and he had put a towel over his face to try and get a little warmer. Everyone had a good time except that some folks got a little cold after they finished.

We're having the Gazelles Christmas party this afternoon, so that'll be fun. It'll end up being a nice day of running altogether.

No comments: