Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Nice and Easy Hour

This morning, Gilbert sent those of us who did the 30k off to do a one hour easy run, followed by some strides to loosen up our tired legs. I set out with Alex, Frank, Liliana and a couple of other folks. They went a little further than I did, because I cut the run slightly short and did some laps around Auditorium Shores for 6.1 miles (they did 7). Average pace a smooth 9:16/mile, and my HR stuff was getting back to normal, so this was a nice little run for me. I had some stiffness early in the run, but everything smoothed out by the end of the run, and the strides felt pretty good as well. I did 6 striders when I was finished. Altogether, a nice morning, even though it was overcast and in the 40's.

Gilbert talked to me for a while about Sunday's race (he was concerned about me), and it was good to hear his encouraging words. He told me what many friends have said, that whatever the reason that I fell apart at Buda, I've done too well in the training so far and in the other Challenge races to give up. He still believes that I'll do well at Freescale, and wants me to stay positive about things. I appreciated him taking the time to seek me out this morning, and once again, I realize how lucky I am to have Gilbert as a coach.

No comments: