Thursday, January 20, 2005

Interesting Interval Workout

Today, on a gray and humid, chilly (49 degrees) morning, we gathered at RunTex and then cruised over to the Austin High track for a reverse ladder interval workout. For marathoners, the workout was 2 x 2000m, basically at the pace we ran them a couple of weeks ago, with a full 400m walk recovery between, 3 x 1000m (same pace as the 2000's, with shorter rest between each repeat of 200m jog/walk), and then 3 x 400m (quicker pace by about 2-3 seconds over 1000's, 1:00 jog/walk rest between). Non-marathoners got to cut one 2000m repeat.

My pace group started with 6 people, but by the second 2000m interval, it was just Amy and me. Our first 2000 was a bit slow (Gilbert had prescribed 9:10 pace for my group), at 9:35, and then I picked it up considerably on the second interval, to 9:03. Amy stayed with me for the first 1000, which we knocked out at a perfect 4:35. Then, she had to leave to get to work. So, for the rest of the workout, I was on my own as a pacer. Next two 1000's were at 4:40 and 4:29. Then, the 400's were 1:40, 1:43, 1:38, and I was done. This was a long long workout, but after a subpar race last Sunday, I felt really good during this workout, and that boosted my spirits and helped me remember that my conditioning and speed is actually pretty good.

I waited after I was done for Henry and Jan to finish their workout, and we ran back to RunTex, swapping stories and making plans for Saturday's 15 mile long run.

We hung out for a while and stretched, and then scattered to get on with our Thursdays. For the day, the 5.1 miles of intervals were at an average of 7:20/mile, pretty good. The full day was something like 8.8 miles at 8:19/mile average pace. A solid day's work on the track. Saturday, we'll cruise the 3M Half Marathon course, and then go from the finish area of that race to RunTex, for a 15 mile (more or less) day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate people like you who take their chance in such an excellent way to give an impression on certain topics. Thanks for having me here.