Monday, February 20, 2006

The Morning After

I'm working on the lengthy race report from yesterday, but I thought I'd let everyone know how the Next Day is going. Let's just say that I seem to have forgotten how to stand up and/or sit down. My quads have apparently been disconnected from use as motive tools, with only the pain receptors left to play with. Once I get moving for 5 minutes or so, the legs come back and I don't look like I'm 70 years old, but it's been an interesting day. My calves, hamstrings and shin muscles are just fine, so I guess I'm really pretty lucky. The Day After Massage wasn't nearly as awful as I had dreaded, but I was much more sore after Ron got done than before. I know this is normal, and the massage will accelerate the recovery...that doesn't mean I have to like it!

Our training pace group has exchanged a zillion e-mails checking in on each other last night and today, and it's been happy communiques all around. We all finished under 4 hours, and we had some spectacular debut marathons in our tribe as well. Rich and Shannon both got under 3:30, Charlene finished second overall in her age group at just over 3:31, Jennifer blasted something in the 3:48 range, and the rest of us finished within 4 minutes of each other, Richard to Amy to Jay to Emily to Brian. Awesome stuff.

That's it for now. I'll be doing some walking, some easy cycling (indoors), and that's about it this week. I'll get back out for some really short and easy running next week, and might even hit the gym late next week after the legs have had a good chance to knit themselves back together at the cellular level. It's really a great feeling to know that all that hard work paid off for all of us. Very cool indeed.

No comments: