Sunday, December 19, 2004

Weekly Roundup

This morning, I tooled along with the Galloway long runners as they tackled their 18 miler. They did really well, and I got in a lot of extra biking miles going back and forth between the pieces of the group as they spread out on the course. It was another beautiful day to be out there, that's for sure!

After their run, I saw Gene and Don, two running buddies who are well over 65 years old. Gene dusted me at every race the last two years, but this fall season, I've caught up to him finally. Of course, since he's 73 years old, it's about time I caught him. Gene set a Texas age group record in the marathon in 2003, with something like 3:45, so he's really fast. I enjoy talking with both of them, and I can only hope that in 20 years I'll be doing as well as they are!

Weekly stats: 4 runs, 36 miles. Skipped the 45-60 minute recovery run again this week, but otherwise did all the quality workouts. 10 mile Progressive run went very well, the Wilke mountain repeats were surprisingly good, the 4 mile tempo run was slightly slower than my best, but I had a big negative split and ran strong. Saturday's short long run of 13 miles was really enjoyable, and again, I ran well for the Gilbert Acceleration over the last 3 miles. I'm pleased with the week's work.

This week features a new Monday run: the 8 mile Pace Run. We are to go out for 2 easy warmup miles, then pick it up for the last 8 miles at a "solid" pace, which I interpret to be something like the normal pace run idea of "comfortable but quicker." I'll shoot for a "solid" pace of 8:40-8:50 for the 8 mile part, faster than projected marathon race pace, but not quite crazy fast pace. The Gazelles workouts are the circuit workout, which is mostly about strength, and 15-20 x 400m, 1:00 rest. Frank and I are going out on Friday for a Mount Bonnell loop run of 14 miles or so. It's supposed to be very very cold, possibly snowy, on Friday, so that should be interesting. Christmas Day, after the package ripping and tearing is over, I might go out for a really easy 40-50 minutes, and Sunday is a day off.

No comments: