Saturday, May 09, 2009

Steamy Running

No, it's not some bodice ripper of an entry. This is not the story of two runners noticing each other on the trail as they pass by, only to realize that they were destined for each other, with a resulting passionate encounter and a life spent together forever after. Sad that it is not the case, but that's the breaks. Maybe that book needs to be written. Or has been... :-)

Anyway, today was another brick in the wall, as I scored 4.5 big miles on a warm and humid morning on the trail. Average pace with water stops was 10:00/mile, which is pretty slow. The actual running bits were in the 9:00-9:20/mile range, so maybe I'm closer to being a real runner again than I currently believe.

It was cool to see Sue, Monique and Courtney as I finished my little tour. They, like me, are coming back to the herd, but right now, they're a little further along in the process. I got a chance to catch up a bit with Pete and Jan this morning, and that was a nice highlight.

For some reason, the stretching pavilion/RunTex Annex now is festooned with a bunch of boxing paraphernalia. A couple of heavy punching bags are swinging from the ceiling, along with two other sets of smaller punching bags ("Speed bags" and that one that is attached to floor and ceiling on stretchy cords). I guess there's a new fitness purveyor sharing the space that was sort of the Gazelles clubhouse. No big deal, I guess. I pushed around the big punching bag, and I can't understand how boxers don't break all the bones in their hands beating on those things. I know they tape their hands and wear gloves, but man!

No comments: