Friday, May 08, 2009

Haircut Economics

Today, I found myself pondering the current state of the economy. All those businesses cutting folks left and right, some closing their doors entirely, and yet some continue on unaffected. I understand some of this. Some I do not.

I understand that some things keep on rolling: barbershops (although I suppose some people stretch an extra week between haircuts to save a little money), gas stations (gotta have gas, but then maybe we're all limiting our driving a bit?), funeral parlours (springing for the mid-line or budget caskets might be cutting into their bottom lines, though).

I understand that we are keeping our cars a year or two or three longer than we once might have, causing car dealerships and manufacturers to have some pain. I understand that we stay in our homes or apartments instead of moving up, which causes problems with realtors and homebuilders. We might even eat out at restaurants less, which has the trickle-down effect of hurting that industry and waiters and bartenders.

What I don't understand is anyone who'd think this is a good time to open a designer clothing boutique. This is, of course, tempered by the total irrationality of anyone buying a handbag that costs more than our monthly mortgage payment, a $500 shirt, or $1,000 shoes. In my opinion, at any rate. :-) And how is Neiman Marcus even still in business after the last 5 years of economic turmoil? I don't get it.

Rant over.

I'm looking forward to seeing some peeps tomorrow for a gentle medium-long run. Last night's recovery run did the trick. I'm not sore or stiff today, so that's a good thing.

1 comment:

Richard said...

I actually just picked up a decent pair of clippers for $28 (less than the cost of a decent haircut) and just do my own - its actually remarkably simple to do a decent job.