Thursday, May 07, 2009

Recovery Running

Ah, yes. Another morning of waking up and feeling pretty beaten up and sore, but by the evening, I felt good enough to sneak out for a nice and easy recovery run. I got in something like 3.5 miles at about 10:00/mile, which is very meager, but it served the intended purpose. My legs felt much better at the end of the little journey. Stiffness worked itself out, and I felt fairly fluid as the few miles went by.

This was just another small step on the way back, but it felt pretty good to be out there in the nighttime humidity...just me, the full moon, the occasional barking dog, and my thoughts. Hmmmm, isn't that what I liked about running back in the day? Isn't that the reason that we do this? It's not so much for the stopwatch (although I'll get back to that in a month or two) as it is for the electrical machine lying between the ears. Just like dreaming lets our subconscious work out some of the demons that plague us in everyday life, running allows the mind to roam freely, and we end up feeling way better than before the run started. Zen.

Oh, yeah, Philip Kerr is a new author (new to me, at least) and I've read three or four of his books in the last week or two. Check him out. His genres are wildly eclectic, as I've read a historical fiction concerning World War II ("Hitler's Peace"), a science fiction sort of thriller set in the future ("Second Angel"), a funny and interesting caper novel ("A Five Year Plan"), and a work of science and anthropology ("Esau"). He apparently can write just about anything. I'm trolling the library stacks of Austin seeking his other books. More as I find them out.

No comments: