Sunday, June 18, 2006

Will You Still Need Me When I'm 64?

Happy Birthday, Sir Paul! The Beatles' music has given me untold hours of enjoyment, both when I've performed it and passively listening, so I must thank my fellow Gemini each year for that gift that he and the Fab Four shared with us all.

Today, after spending time with the family in the morning, I made my way over to hear Los Romeros, the famous Spanish guitar quartet. They practically invented the idea of a guitar ensemble, at least the modern iteration of it, so I owed it to myself to check it out. My friend, Mike, scored some free tickets for me, so that made it even better.

Mary Anne and I went to the concert, and they had a huge crowd for the show. The Romeros played as a quartet, as solo players and even had a couple of duets. I'm glad I got a chance to see them. The two older brothers remaining from the first version of the group joined two of the next generation Romeros, and it might not be too much longer that they remain in that format. I wonder if there's another Romero being prepared for the next replacement chair? It was a fine show, and they received several standing ovations. For a Father's Day concert, it was probably the most fitting group they could have provided for our entertainment, no?

For the week, right at 30 miles running. I missed a couple of gym workouts and the Thursday recovery run, so it wasn't as complete a week as it should have been, but I think it turned out okay. More circuit training tomorrow, and some 2000m repeats on Wednesday. I'll guess that we may have a Mt. Bonnell run scheduled for Saturday. We'll see about that. Oh, yeah, I picked up a new pair of running shoes to work into the shoe rotation, some Fila Providence II's. They look a little like golf shoes, sans spikes, but they feel great. I'll use them for workouts shorter than 10 miles. I've got a pair of old Filas and a pair of Mizuno Creations that are teetering on the edge of being retired, so it's time that I got a new pair to add to the list.

No comments: