Tuesday, June 13, 2006

EZ Runnin'

It seemed way cooler outside today than yesterday morning, but it was just a few degrees difference. Tiny changes sure do help! I met up with a bunch of my peeps this morning for a relaxed 7-mile tour around Town Lake. Shannon, Emily, Rachel, Laurie (I think that was her name), Frank and Brian made up our happy crew. We did the I-35 loop clockwise, so that the Riverside hill came late in the run instead of at the start of mile 2, and it was a welcome change. Just looking at the same trail in a different direction made it seem fresher to us. As usual on these runs, we took turns running with each person in the crew, so that it was more of a social outing than a serious workout. After a first mile that I tried to get loose, I settled in for the rest of the run, and had a good time. We made two quick water stops along the way, maybe 1:40 worth of stop time, but I left the watch running today. Even though it felt nice and easy, we still clocked the 7.1 miles at a nice 9:05/mile overall pace.

Once we returned to RunTex, I went ahead to Auditorium Shores and did 4 x 100m striders to loosen up a bit after the run. No one else wanted to join me for that, but I didn't take it personally. I wonder if they were trying to tell me something? :-) A full stretching session there at RunTex completed the process, and a day's running work was done. I chatted a bit with some of the Tuesday/Thursday Gazelles as they finished off their circuit workout, and it was time to get going to the gym.

DGymbe

Once I got up to Gold's, I stopped in the parking lot for a bit to wait on 8:30, when I could call the kids and wake them up at home. While I was sitting in my truck, though, I was feeling really sleepy, and dozed off for little microsleeps. I guess I need more sleep than I've been getting, huh? I got them to answer the phone, finally, and went in for the workout before I changed my mind. Since we did the extra-effort ab stuff yesterday, I felt justified in skipping the Roman Chair exercises on core, but I did the floor exercises and the full set of plank exercises, 2 sets of 45 seconds each. For the leg stuff, I was bad and skipped the 4-way hip machine, but I did full sets and weights on the rest of the leg exercises. All in all, I felt like this was a "B" workout, but I did some good work, nonetheless.

Tomorrow is the Tempo Race, so I hope I don't find that I've regressed on that Time Trial workout too much. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to run a new PR?

No comments: