Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Recovery on Old Shoes

Ah, yes. A beautiful spring afternoon, pleasant temperatures around 70 degrees, and it was time for a quick recovery run. I had planned on an hour's run, nice and easy. However, I also wore my lucky 13th pair of Creations for this run, hoping to get a few more runs in them before they are retired. Within the first half mile of the run, my shins were screaming at me. When shoes go dead, they go fast. I stuck it out for around 40 minutes, but just couldn't take it anymore after that. On pavement, those shoes absolutely won't cut it anymore. I managed to get in 4.2 miles, average pace 9:05/mile, so it wasn't a totally lost day, but it wasn't much fun, either. I did some balance drills afterwards to loosen up the hips and legs, and that helped, but those shoes won't be used again unless I'm going to be on a softer running surface! Time to get the 15th pair of Mizunos to start rotating in with my current Freescale 2006 pair.

No comments: