Monday, May 01, 2006

3000 Meters @ HM Pace? [Entered 5/8/06]

Monday, we had our last major run before Indy, being sent over to Zilker Park for 3000m around the soccer fields at HM pace, or, as Gilbert said, "A little bit faster than HM pace." Okey dokey. Richard was able to join us, so we had Alex, Frank, Richard and myself for our tiny subgroup workout. Uneventful warmup and drills, and then without too much further preamble, we were off. Alex took off like a scared rabbit, Frank cruising next, and then Richard and I made up an actual groupetto of two. Richard and I figured our theoretical HM pace was 7:55/mile, so that was in our minds. However, I was surprised when we went through one mile in 7:10 or so. Faster, yes, but it didn't feel stupid fast. At least for 3000m, it wasn't stupid fast. :-)

I pulled away a little over the last 1000m, but it wasn't a big gap at the end for Richard and me. I clocked 12:58 for 3000m, or 6:58/mile overall pace. Way faster than any rational HM goal on Saturday, but it was nice to tune up the running machine this way.

The return jog was relaxing, and Alex and I stayed around for stretching afterwards. For the day, a brief 5.5 miles, all systems go. We got to see Shannon, Amy and some of the rest of the gang as they finished up their Circuit training, so that was fun. It's weird being on a different schedule than our pals, but that'll end soon enough.

No comments: