Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Trail Running Again [Entered 8/5/05]

This morning, Tuesday, I surprised myself by getting up and running for the fourth day in a row. This time, it was just Jeff and me who were out there bright and early. We ran the usual Suicide Ridge trail, but did a little different approach to the trailhead, exploring some of the other trails that wind around the Warren Wilson College campus. The grass was heavy with dew, so our shoes got pretty wet during this one. We ended up doing 2 laps on top of Suicide Ridge, and then went back a different way, bushwacking across a big grazing ground in the high grass, totally soaking our feet. It was a strange and mystical morning, with very heavy fog making it almost impossible to see across the field at all. By dead reckoning, we found our way to the roads, and picked our way back to campus and our room. All told, it was nice brisk run, and Jeff made me lead the Suicide Ridge laps. Later, I figured it was so that I could catch any spider webs across the trail (I just ate one of them).

It was just about 41 minutes of running, and I'll estimate 4.5 miles total. The GPS would have been useless in the deep foliage, so I didn't wear it. Our fellow campers just shook their heads when they saw us finishing our runs as they strolled to breakfast.

No comments: