Sunday, July 31, 2005

Carl Sandburg and Travel Time [Entered 8/5/05]

Today, we visited the Carl Sandburg historical site and homeplace in Flat Rock. Sandburg moved down to North Carolina when he was 67, already world-famous. He lived at Connemara, his 300 acre homeplace, for the rest of his life. Pretty interesting place, and some more hiking while we were there, to boot. At the souvenir shop, I found a piece of classical sheet music written by Andres Segovia for his buddy, Sandburg, and purchased a copy for my own investigation later. Apparently, Segovia wrote the piece in 5 minutes, on hotel stationery, in response to Sandburg's request for "lessons."

Anyway, after that, it was time to find our way through the rain to Charlotte, and my flights back to Austin. The flights were uneventful, but a long layover in Houston wasn't that much fun. I read the entire Houston Sunday paper while I hung out in the terminal and even finished up the Sunday crossword puzzle there. I got through about 50 songs on the iPod during the flights, and it was good to hear a bunch of stuff with power chords in them.

Got home late, just after 11:00 pm, and my guitar and luggage made it just fine. All in all, another very successful trip to Swannanoa, and my only problem now is readjusting to Real Life. That should prove easy enough.

No comments: