Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Sleepy 2000's

This morning, I was totally wiped out. My cumulative sleep deficit has caught up with me, with a vengeance. I was truly sleepy driving down to the workout, and I guess I looked like hell, because several people commented on it while we waited to get started. You know the weather conditions, of course.

Anyway, we had a nice little warmup over to Zilker, and I ran with Margaret for the most part. I stumbled through the drills, and then gathered with everyone at the head of the course for our instructions. Gilbert reminded us that this is supposed to be an 80% effort workout, not a super speed deal. We had a big group to start with, but it thinned out as people fell into pace packs. Richard ran with Patrick and Margaret, slightly faster than we did. I ran mostly with Tony (who did 2 repeats) and Jan. We ran the first one easy, as instructed, in 9:21. I felt pretty relaxed on that one. Then the next one was faster in 9:12, still pretty comfortable. And I finished with a last faster one at 9:05. Given my fatigue starting the workout, that was enough.

I was pretty pleased with my results, considering things, and I ran each interval faster than the one before. Average pace was 9:12, or 7:24/mile, which was easily in the 80% range.

The crew running back to RunTex after we were done was Frank, Alex, Jan, Patrick and me. Surprisingly, we ran at a sane cooldown type pace. Good for us.

Good stretching afterwards. It was good to see Paul Pugh this morning, too, as he did his last tuneup run before Grandma's Marathon this weekend.

I'm looking forward to getting a full night's sleep tonight, and tomorrow is a cycle/gym day. Gilbert was telling Frank and I about Saturday's long run (10 mile) course, and it is a new hilly one, starting in South Austin. Should be a party...

No comments: