Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Return to the Herd - 800m Repeats! [Entered 8/15/06]

On Wednesday, after all my baggage claim adventures, I finally returned to the Gazelles Herd. It wasn't too bad out, with the humidity being a little low for a change, and it was great fun to see all the crew again. A nice warmup run started things off, and after drills we were ready for the word.

Gilbert assigned us between 6 and 8 x 800m repeats. 8 for fall marathoners, 6 for the rest of us. He said that we shouldn't be gasping after every 800, except for the last big effort repeat. I had a pretty big crew making the rounds with me. Brad, Emily, Rachel, Renee, Leslie and a new guy...was it Mark? Anyway, we took turns leading, so I did a lot of pacing behind the others. We were aiming for an overall average around 3:30. The laps bounced around a little, but I think we were all fairly comfortable until it was time to blast the last lap. I thought I was way out front on the last (6th) 800, but Brad tracked me down with 200 meters to go and left me in his wake. Still, I scored a PB on the last 800, which was very gratifying after my casual trail running week and Swannanoa vacation. My overall average for 6 repeats was also a PR for this workout, so that's good stuff all around.

The numbers: 3:34, 3:24, 3:29, 3:27, 3:23, 3:08. 3:24 average for 6 x 800.

Gilbert had us do 2 x 200m striders after we were done, and they did help to loosen us up a bit after the hard work. I waited on Frank to finish up his 8x800m, and we ran back to RunTex together. I counted 7 miles for the day. It was nice to be back.

No comments: