Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Quintet Rolls LBLake

This morning was another perfectly crisp and clear day, just right for a relaxed run around Lady Bird Lake with the peeps. It was hovering around 30 degrees all morning, and it was fabulous! Marcy, Rachel, Brian and Michael made up our running posse along with little old me, and we had a grand time putting in our 7 miles. Lots of conversation, lots of laughs, and almost as a side effect, we got in a nice run while doing it.

Just as we got started, the fast folks from the Tuesday/Thursday crew blasted by us in the opposite direction, as they finished up their fartlek workout. Alex looked like it was effortless running for him as he went by. We enjoyed a really beautiful sunrise that peeked over the horizon and through the buildings of downtown Austin just as we made our water stop at Auditorium Shores. It was just a delightful day, and I was very happy to be a part of this run. Like I said, the actual running was nearly secondary to the good company and conversation, but we took care of business there, too.

For the day, 6.95 miles, 9:09/mile pace, even with the water stop. We were clicking away at an 8:35/mile clip for those last 4 miles, but it felt good to me. I'm probably the poky little puppy in that group, but it worked out for me today, at least.

After bundling up in dry clothes, I stretched just a bit before driving back to the hacienda. I'm feeling really good lately about my running, and I've enjoyed these last couple of weeks. So far, so good. Now, I just need to get my gym visits kick-started again, and I'll be all set!

No comments: