Sunday, December 24, 2006

What's This?! A Gym Visit?! [Entered 12/25]

On Sunday, with Christmas shopping long completed and a drizzle falling outside, I took advantage of available time and dashed off to the gym for a return visit...finally. I've been slacking a lot on that phase of the program, and some things Gilbert has mentioned in the last week brought it home even more. So, I had the time, I had the urge, so hie thee to Gold's!

I figured doing the weights would help in the recovery from the 20 miler yesterday, at the very least. Started with a quick 15 minutes on the cycle to spin the legs up to some level of warmth, and that felt fine. Since I've been away a while, I did single sets of the full core routine to get back into the swing, and then moved on to the legs. I did the full leg routine, and I stretched between sets and between exercises to ease the legs out of their day-after stiffness. I felt much better after knocking out all those exercises. For upper body, I did some single sets (curls, lat pulldowns) and some double sets (bench press and tricep pulldowns), and I even tried the pullup assistance machine. I'm terrible at pullups, and I'd like to get where I can at least do the 10 pullups in a row that Gilbert asks us to do from time to time after a workout. So, experimenting with the pullup machine, where you can select the amount of assistance the machine gives you, might be a way to accelerate the process of getting to that 10 pullup goal. Did 2 x 5 pullups, with different levels of assistance.

Afterwards, I felt pretty good, and I'm happy I got back to the gym, even for one day. Now, will I go on Tuesday and Thursday? Hmmmmm...

No comments: