Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas, and James Brown

First, Merry Christmas to all five of my regular readers! :-) We had a successful Christmas morning here at Casa Clement, and I checked in with all my siblings and my parents, and everyone seems in fine form and good humor. Gifts were given and received, and in the tradition of the New Age Christmas, the kids have much in the way of gift cards to burn through in the coming weeks, along with "real gifts."

However, it was sad to read on the Web this morning that the Godfather of Soul, James Brown, passed away this morning. True to form, JB gave us something to talk about, even in his passing. As noted previously in these scribblings, the James Brown Christmas Album has always been a favorite of mine during this season, and now it will remain so, but with a bittersweet edge. I've told folks before, over and over, that when I'm a little down, James Brown's music never fails to bring me back out of the doldrums. I mean, how can you be sad when you hear JB throwing out a "Good God!" or "Unnnnhhhhh!" in the middle of funky tune? :-)

And so the Rock and Roll Heaven Band adds another singer, and Heaven becomes a lot more funky as James Brown joins the band. I wonder what will be the first tune that Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley and JB will crank up? :-)

No comments: