Thursday, December 28, 2006

Bobby, Can I Take It To The Bridge?

"...Take it to the bridge? [band says "Yeah!"] Take it to the bridge! ["Yeah!"] Hit Me!" - JB

This morning, Frank, Rachel, Brian and I took it to the bridge(s), both Mopac and I-35, and had a wonderful time chatting about various salacious topics (look it up if you don't know that word, it's a good one!) as we cruised around Town Lake on the 7 mile loop. Rachel, Frank and I started at 7:00am at Mopac, and it was another nice running day when we were out there. Sunny, clear, and temps in the mid 50's. We headed clockwise around the lake, and about 2.5 miles into it, we ran into Brian, coming the opposite direction. He had showed up at 7:00am all right, but at RunTex. We gathered him up and continued on our way. We were having so much fun talking about topics that shall not be detailed here that the run just flew by. Brian stayed with us until past the footbridge over Barton Creek, and then turned around to finish off his day. The rest of us sailed home.

I can't remember the last time a run has had so much laughter involved in it. Again, we are all lucky to have such a great group of running friends. I'm grateful to know each of the many people that make up our regular running crew, and it is their presence and inspiration that help me stay focused on the program. Especially on those days when it's raining (rare here in Austin, but it happens), cold, steamy, blazing hot, or on mornings where you feel like you've been run over during the night.

As I put on dry clothes after the run, Gilbert ran by on the trail, happy and cheerful as usual. Of course, he noticed me and called me by name. He's got that amazing gift for remembering names. I'm envious of that.

I had to get back to the house to await the arrival of our plumber, so the gym visit for today will have to wait until later. For the day, just under 7 miles, about 9:17 pace, including the water stop at Auditorium Shores. My legs feel great, but I'm looking forward to a day off of running tomorrow. I need that day to recharge.

No comments: