Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Return to Speedwork

Let's see...Monday I was pretty stiff and sore from my modest effort at the Bun Run 5K, but as they like to say, it was a good kind of sore, earned from actual effort. Anyway, I figured 2000m repeats probably weren't the best idea given my current state of (non-) fitness, so I did some recovery running instead. 40 minutes of nice and easy running on the trail, and by the end of the run, my legs were feeling better. Just over 4 miles, but for now, that's just fine.

Today, Wednesday, I rejoined the herd for some speedwork. I decided before I drove down for the workout that I would purposely shift groups, and I planned on doing 8 repeats, maybe 10. So, when Bernard said that 10 was the minimum number of repeats, I was already a little bit off kilter. Still, the group I hung with was just perfect for me, and everyone took turns leading the pack, so it was a communal effort. We were really solid on pacing, knocking the 400m repeats out at an average of 1:51/400m, with a slow lap of 1:53 and a fast lap of 1:50 for the first 11 repeats. On the 12th and final repeat, I picked it up a bit to 1:44. I wouldn't have done 12, but no one else was stopping at 10, so I sort of was shamed into staying with the pack for an even dozen. I'd point out that 10 is an even number, too, but Monique was persuasive, and our pack of 6 runners stuck together.

I ran back with Frank, and all in all it was a nice return to the morning workouts. It was fun to see everyone, and now I can approach future workouts with joy instead of trepidation.

Except for my HR being much higher for a slower pace, I felt okay out there. My legs felt a little clunky, but that's to be expected. It'll come back to me, but I must be patient. I figure by June I'll be more or less back to normal. Whatever "normal" is... :-)

1 comment:

shannon said...

Jay's blog is back!! YAY! Please let me know if you ever want company on a recovery run on the trail. I'm slow right now, but it's nice to have people to start with at least.