Monday, November 05, 2007

Mt. Bonnell over and over [Entered 11/5/07]

And once again, I return to blogging about running and various ancillary subjects. While I was running today (Saturday) with Amy, she asked me why I wasn't writing lately. I mumbled that I was bummed out about how my training was going in late August and September, and so I just quit writing back then because I felt mopey about it. It's that low running self-esteem thing rearing its ugly head again. But, I'm going to get back in the habit of doing this blog because for one thing, it keeps me accountable in a tentative, virtual way.

So, what's been going on? Well, I bailed on going to Chicago for the marathon, which turned out to be an accidentally good decision. Who knew they'd have historically bad weather this year? Not me. But, my long training runs had been pretty terrible in September, and having to walk in on most of the 20 milers wasn't building any confidence. So, I decided at the end of September to reset my marathon target as the Dallas White Rock Marathon in December. That way, I'd get 10 weeks or more extra to train, while searching for my running mojo.

Almost immediately, I started doing better on the long runs and other workouts. The cooler weather also helped, of course, but it was also a function of regaining confidence little by little as target workouts came and went. I've had 3 really great 20 milers since then, and I've even been able to throw down some fast finishes at the end of those long runs, which was not happening at all in the summer. That brings us to today's tour of Mountain Bonnell.

We had our next-to-last 20 miler last weekend, which went great. This week we went for an easy 7 miler on Monday (I ran with Frank, which was fun), and then we had 6 x 1200m on the track on Wednesday. My times on the 1200s weren't as spiffy as last year at this time, but they were still plenty strong for my marathon goals this year.

Today, we started off with everyone, including all the AT&T folks, for a journey up to Mt. Bonnell. I really like this run for some reason. I guess rolling hills suit my particular running strengths, whatever those may be. I ran with a pod of folks, but mostly hung out with Amy. This was a rare opportunity to run the whole route with her, since we were finally on the same workout on a Saturday. For the most part, I was running today for strength and for fun, as it was sandwiched in between the two more important 20+ milers. It still had some testy bits as the road turned upward, but it was still loads of fun. Weather was nice again, in the high 50s, and that made for an enjoyable day.

Once we navigated through Scenic and up to the top of Bonnell the first time, it was an opportunity to do a GU and enjoy some chilled sports beverages with the peeps. Having tanked up, Amy and I headed down the backside of Bonnell for the out-and-back journey to the Dry Creek Saloon. For me, it's more uncomfortable to go down the steep hills than up them, but maybe I'm in the minority on that. Still, we turned around in the darkness still hanging around us, and made the ascent of the backside without undue agony. As it turns out, Alex ran by us as we were heading out to the Saloon, with Ivi, but it was so dark I didn't realize that it was him until he told me at stretching. Sorry, Alex!

After another quick water/Accelerade stop, Amy and I headed down Bonnell, up 35th, and then down Exposition. Again, I was feeling pretty good, enjoying the day. Still, it was nice to come up on the last water/Accelerade stop at O. Henry. Several groups passed in various directions as we navigated that stretch, as Expo was its usual busy running self on a Saturday morning.

Even though I said I wasn't going for a "fast finish" to this run, Amy and I did end up picking up the pace ever so gently through the last 3.2 miles. It didn't feel like a crazy acceleration, but by the end I could tell that we had eased it into a quicker gear, especially once we got to the trail.

Another day of long running in the books, and it was a fun one! Amy and I had a chance to discuss several issues of lasting importance, but, alas, those discussions stay on the trail. The old "What happens in Vegas..." deal, you know. The viral song of the day that I sprung on the crew was REO Speedwagon's "Take It On The Run," and it was a pretty strong choice. You know that one..."I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard that you've been messing a-round..." Poetry.

The stats were 14.95 miles of running at 9:06 actual running pace. With water stops included, we drifted to 9:47/mile. Not bad. Fast finish miles were 8:44, 8:31, 8:26, and 0.2 miles at 7:35. Altogether a good workout.

The full stretching ritual followed as we reestablished out corner outpost at Riverside and First Street, which was a fun way to polish off the day.

Just 5 weeks until White Rock, and I'm feeling better about it every day.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Hi-Infidelity was a great 80's album.

I was a huge REO fan. Yeah, I know, I know...but Kevin Cronin had the world's best man-perm!

Nice post.
Kevin

Jay said...

I have Hi-Infidelity on vinyl, and yes, it's a great 80's album. Remember when it was actually part of the deal to carefully sequence the tracks so that Side Two had its own musical path?