Monday, September 18, 2006

Circuitry, Again [Start of AT&T training]

This morning, we kicked off the weekday training for AT&T, with a lot of new faces. The Chicago/fall marathon people were off on a 10 mile pace run, so it was sort of funny to adjust to the new group of people. Circuit training is a pretty traditional Intro To Gazelle-ing, and thus the AT&T people wandered over to AHS for circuit stuff. The rainy weather cut down the numbers a good bit, I think, but I'd say we had about 15-20 folks by the time we did our drills at AHS. It was good to see Jennifer back with us after her long bout with Achilles injury over the spring and summer. She was one of maybe 4 or 5 people that I knew already. I was able to get with a couple of the new guys after the warmup, telling them that the warmup run to wherever we were going was not a time to race. It doesn't help to try to win warmups. :-)

Bernard and Kenny were there to get us going, since Gilbert was tending to the pace runners. Those of us who were "veterans" got to go ahead and get started with our first 400m lap and circuit, while the new folks got instruction in what the circuit exercises actually are. I ended up doing most of my circuit laps on my own, just because it fell out that way. My laps were pretty consistent, at a modest 1:54/lap (7:40/mile), but I certainly wasn't pushing it too much. I did four circuits today, a new record for me. Of course, I tried to stop after three, but Gilbert was there by then, and when I asked him, he told me "No, you need the work!" and sent me back out there. I should have known. :-)

Anyway, after 4 drizzly circuits, Gilbert gathered us up for the fun 15/30/45/90 degree leg lift series, which happened during the heaviest rain of the morning. That was actually pretty funny, lying there with my legs a'trembling in the air, rain pelting my face as I tried to find my mental "happy place" to distract me from the legs and core. We finished up with 2 x 1:00 of fast feet. It was a good circuit workout, and it was fun to hear the new folks discuss it on the run back to RunTex.

My three new Gazelles that I think I can remember for next time are Patty, Braz, and Matt. We'll see if I can keep their names and faces in my memory.

On the way back, by the way, I got my first sighting of the Guy. The dude with the lycra tight shorts. In the rain and drizzle. Eeeeeeewwwwwww! Now I see what the fuss was about, not that I care to see the "fuss" again.

Full stretching afterwards under the shed, and I chatted with Lisa, Alex, Brian and Frank. The Chicago folks had a really soggy pace run.

For the day, 4.7 miles, and a decent start to the workout week. Tomorrow, I get to start breaking in my latest pair of Mizuno Creations. I think this is pair number 15. The old Mizunos get one more run (they were my "mud shoes" for today's workout, for instance), and then they're pretty much done, too.

No comments: