Friday, July 20, 2007

When the Rain Comes... [Entered 7/25/07]

Friday, I had to get in my short long run (yep, it's oxymoronic) before leaving for a weekend of moderate debauchery at my 30th year high school reunion. I visited the gym yesterday for 30 minutes of indoor cycling and a core/upper body workout, by the way. Anyway, I got down to a deserted RunTex early on Friday, under threatening skies. I sat in the car for a bit, to see if the weather would either go ahead and let loose (as it did) or blow over. I had plenty of time to get the run in, so I had that luxury.

I guess I dozed off a bit as the rain pattered on my windshield, because the next thing I knew, Gilbert was knocking on my window. I got out and chatted with him briefly, and then he flew off with the Bomb Runners. It started raining pretty hard right after that, so I almost decided to bag the run entirely. As it was, I'd have to leave the iPod in the truck due to excessive rain. I moved the truck in preparation for leaving, and then finally decided to just get out and try running. I made a deal with myself to just get out and run at least the Longhorn Dam route. That worked, and I hit the trail by about 6:15am.

From there, it was a series of psychological tests, as I passed various opportunities to cut the run shorter. I ended up doing the full Grove loop, with only a couple of large streams to jump over east of the Longhorn Dam, and with only the one detour through Zilker Park around Point Neff. As it turns out, I think I could have gone around Point Neff, but that's not a big deal. It was fun to be able to actually run most of the trail, after it's been under water in spots for several weeks.

I did just one GU during this journey, and supplemented my CamelBak with stops at the Holly power plant, Mopac and between First Street and the old power station. This was sort of a cruise, in alternating heavy and light rain, and I ended up drenched but happy that I made the effort. I scored 13.8 miles at a relatively pedestrian 9:40/mile average, including water stop time. I was around 9:15/mile actual running speed.

So, except for extremely squishy shoes (first run in new Creation 8's), it was a good effort.

For the week, 25.6 miles in three runs. My calves feel fine after the big cramping last weekend, so I'm back on track.

Now, about that reunion? Maybe I'll report on that later...

No comments: