Saturday, May 07, 2005

Indy 500 Festival Mini Marathon [Posted 5/9/05]

The first alarm went off at 5:00, and we finally rolled out at about 5:30. Accelerade, bananas, the usual pre-race nutrition... Then, the three of us went out for a warmup run at about 6:15, a nice easy 15 minutes or so along the finish of the course and then back to the hotel. We did our Gazelles drills (the "usual drills") in the parking lot, and then some minor stretching. I saw Andy and Jeff walking to the starting line and told them to have a good race, and then we went up to the room to put on our race gear (we were all sporting our Gazelles black singlets, of course!) and got our post-race stuff for the gear check trucks.

We strolled over to the huge pre-race scene, along with 30,000 new running friends. It was no problem at all dropping off my post-race bag, and after a last hydration adjustment (Frank laughs at this rather delicate description, by the way...), I took my pre-race GU and a last cup of water. Frank and Alex went way up to the "B" corral with the seeded runners, and I moseyed back to the "G" corral (they go back to "X," incidentally!). I was in the corral, sitting down and stretching, at 7:05. I had a long time to wait. Temperature was in the high 50's, but with the full sun, it felt a lot warmer than that. It would warm to about 65 degrees by the time I finished.

At about 7:15, I finally had to stand up, with the crowds starting to file into the corral in earnest. The usual annoying beachballs were being batted around, both really giant ones and normal sized ones. I kept trying to hit them back into the "H" corral or out into the crowd, but they kept coming back. Arrrgggghhh! We had "Back Home Again In Indiana," sung by a woman way up ahead, and then the national anthem. It was time. The wheelchairs went off precisely at 7:30, as scheduled, and we were allowed to surge forward as the ropes were removed between the corrals. I ended up standing at about corral "E" as the gun went off, perfectly at 7:33, as advertised. We walked, jogged, walked, stopped, and finally jogged to the start, and I crossed almost exactly 4 minutes after the gun. Time to get it on!!

My race plan was to run calmly in the first mile, and to settle into my pace after the course widened at one mile. It was crowded early, of course, but this year, I just stayed in my lane, and moved forward when an opening presented itself, trying not to do too much side to side running. In the first mile, there was a preacher with a mic, telling us how to live a more righteous life (I only got about 10 seconds of his sermon...sorry). After that, there was at least one more musical act, a guitarist with a drummer. The drummer was wearing a full Spiderman suit. At least that's what I think it was. We crossed a river, and passed in front of the Indianapolis Zoo. I reached the first mile in 8:54, slow, but plenty of time to pick it up from there. I turned that first corner, and up the very slight incline there, I passed a ton more people, as they were taken aback by the change in elevation. For me, it was time to enjoy the change. The second mile featured a couple of ladies singing religious pop against a backing track (they were actually pretty good), as well as a cool steel drum band and a guitarist who played against his own pre-recorded tracks. The last guy was doing Grand Funk Railroad's version of "Some Kinda Wonderful," and he wasn't bad. As we turned west again, there were a bunch of musical acts along the long straight there. I heard the Georgia Satellite's "Keep Your Hands To Yourself," then a keyboard guy (he had a big sign...something like "Fred Thompson, Musical Entertainer. Weddings, Parties...") who was doing some long jazz excursion on some tune that was lost in the riffing. My favorite deal was a little further down, where two acts occupied the very same parking lot. There was a young metal band, doing some typical thrashing tune, and right next to them was a group of bikers who were rocking out with "Born To Be Wild." And the points go to the bikers! Good job, boys!

I drank Gatorade about every 3 miles, and poured water on my head in between, but didn't slow too much at the water stops. There were 17 aid stations, I think ("Pit Areas," in the terminology of the race) spread over 13 miles, so there was no shortage of fluids available. I was running just like I wanted to by now, smoothly moving forward through the crowds of runners. As we turned north for a short stretch, there was a pretty good rapper doing some lyrics involving runners and "getting it done." That was followed by a band doing Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke." At the four mile mark, we turned west again, and there were two bands there on opposite corners (we'd pass this spot again at about mile 10 on the way back, so the bands were ready for action going both ways). I was feeling strong and smooth, and I was clicking off the miles. 4 miles down, 9.1 to go.

Splits, miles 1-4: 8:54, 8:18, 8:18, 8:11. After that slow first mile, I had worked it back to 8:26 overall pace. I was totally okay with my progress, knowing that at that rate, I'd get my overall pace down even further before I was done.

The stretch from mile 4 to mile 6 included the lady cloggers, doing their thing to Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock and Roll." They're very serious about their art, and are pretty darned good at it. I also heard "TNT," the AC/DC song, "Born To Be Wild" again (not as good as that first band), a taped version of "You Shook Me All Night Long," lots of metal bands, and a pretty good version of "Rave On." Also a cool soul group doing "Ain't Too Proud To Beg." Entertaining, for sure. It's just unbelievable how many musical acts they get out for this race! First dose of Enervitene at about mile 5. Then, I rolled around the corner, and headed for the Speedway. Just outside the Speedway, I heard the bagpipers (they were standing right there about 3 feet away). I ducked down the short ramp under the grandstands, then powered up the equally short uphill ramp, and I was inside the Speedway for that part of the festivities. Time to do the Speedway Tour, on foot this time. The first of three groups of cheerleaders were right inside the Speedway at the water stop. After a short time on an internal road, we popped up onto the track itself.

Splits, Miles 5-6: 8:17, 8:24. Overall pace down to 8:24, right on plan, and improving.

Once on the track, the asphalt provided a lot more heat than we had up to that time. I was still motoring past folks, and by now, lots of people were stopping to walk or slowing considerably. The loudspeakers in the Speedway blared "Hot, Hot, Hot," then "Walk This Way," and then "You Shook Me All Night Long (again)." I crossed the strip of bricks at the track's Start/Finish line and continued on my merry way. My pacing was erratic on the track, apparently due to the slowing runners around me and the increased heat of the asphalt. I recovered after the slower mile 7, and then slowed back again on mile 9. As I exited the track, I saw the piles of runners just now entering the track, and I felt much better about my day. I just figured I'd be better once I got on regular roads. Even as I was going, I was still easily moving forward, through more and more runners. I turned at the Marathon Oil refinery, and headed to mile 10. Time to get going. Last year, I sort of gave up on the track, but this year, with a lot more experience and much better training, I was able to fight out of the Speedway funk.

Splits, Miles 7-9 (the Speedway): 8:36, 8:20, 8:36. Overall pace up to 8:26. Still on PR pace, and lots of time to whittle that down.

There was a shady stretch at the first half of mile 10, and that was welcome relief after the track. A guy with a 12-string guitar was doing Jimmy Buffett ("Margaritaville," of course), and then some metal bands. I crossed the median, and finally turned east into the bright sun for the home stretch drive. I took my last dose of Enervitene at the mile 10 water stop, doused my head with water again, and it was time to blast it! I was back on proper pacing now, and feeling much better. Another rapper was doing his thang in this stretch. I wasn't really sure how I was doing, overall, but I knew I was right around my 1:50 goal. I wasn't going to slow down now. Gilbert had told me to "GO!" at mile 10, and so I did. Mile 11 was straight into the sun, and apparently all the country and bluegrass bands were left for this stretch (same last year, too...). Another band did "TNT," this time with a girl singer (pretty good, though), and I heard a Doors tune ("Touch Me"). For the first time in a long time, someone passed me, 2 kids wearing their cross country camp singlets. They were probably 13 years old. I was doing all I could, so they went on by. We turned the corner, and were now going along the river towards the last bridge and the homestretch mile. I heard Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Susie Q" being pumped out by a live band, and that helped me, I think. The steel drum band was having fun, as well, and they took us to the bridge, so to speak. There were tons of folks just basically giving up by now, with lots of walkers all around. I was plowing through them, focused on the prize. I took a last cup of water on my head, and turned across the bridge. It was the last incline on the course, really. From there, it was a straight shot to the finish. Kick it!!

Splits, miles 10-12: 8:15, 8:09, 8:23. Overall pace now back down to 8:24.

I saw a guy on a stretcher on the bridge, but snapped out of that fast. Time to focus.
One last rock band on the bridge doing Buddy Holly again. My body was screaming at me to slow down, but I ignored it. I saw the 3/4 mile to go sign, and kept looking for the 1/2 mile sign. It seemed like it took forever to get that 1/4 mile! I heard a woman singing Dixie Chicks songs ("There's Your Trouble") to a backing tape. Finally the 1/2 mile sign, the overhead walkway, and I focused ahead on the photographers' perch. The streets were lined with cheering spectators by now, and the grandstands were full of folks waiting on their friends or family. 1/4 mile to go. Then, the 13 mile marker. I kept narrowing my vision as the finish line loomed closer and closer, and then finally, I pushed across the line. I was done!

Split mile 13 and 13.1: 8:10 and 0:45 (6:53 mile pace). Final time 1:49:36, overall pace 8:22. Blasted my Masters PR by 3 minutes or so, and about a 13 minute improvement over last year's Mini time. I was a little let down that I didn't get to 1:48, but I'll take a big PR any day. I felt like I executed my race plan well, and had a lot of mental strength over the last 4 miles of the race. My last 3.1 miles were easily my fastest stretch of the entire race. More stats later...

I sucked down some oxygen (regular natural version...I didn't need any medical help), and made my way through the thick crowds, past the chip removal stations. I got my medal, and moved towards the food. The food delivery was very organized, again. You were handed a grocery sack (plastic) early, plus some water, then you went by tables and got bananas, apples, cookies, potato chips, trail mix and finally a cup of Gatorade. I sipped on my water, then drank down the Gatorade, got my post-race picture made, and shuffled into the park and the gear trucks. I got my bag inside of 30 seconds, and found a nice rock to sit on for a moment. I mixed up my Endurox and drank that down while I changed into a dry shirt. That apple was pretty good, too. Replenished, I went over to the Indy Runners tent to meet up with the rest of the boys.

The crowds in the park were amazing, and everyone seemed to be happy to be done. Jeff had a good race, and Andy ran his fastest non-downhill half marathon ever (he refuses to accept his Motorola Half Marathon time as "record-worthy," so this was his second fastest ever). Jeff told me that Frank and Alex had both snagged PR's, and Alex had dipped into the 1:30:xx range. Good for them! I did some stretching, and chatted with the locals a bit. I checked in with Mary Anne and wished her Happy Mother's Day, and was relieved to find out that the flowers had arrived as planned. It was getting warmer and warmer by now, and I felt sorry for those folks who were still out there.

Alex and Frank headed back to the room to get cleaned up, and I went with Jeff and Andy to meet Coach Hathaway, Jeff's first running coach. He's a really energetic 72 year old, a lot like Gene Woodruff here in town. I left them and headed back myself, pleased with the way that I felt. I did a little jogging on the way back, a quarter mile or so, maybe a half mile, just to loosen up the legs. I snagged a couple of Dr. Peppers once I got to the hotel, for Alex and me. Frank had plenty of his preferred drinks available already. We stretched, which was probably a good idea.

The rest of the day, we did a little more walking over to Bazbeaux's again for post-race nourishment. Frank and Alex were jonesing for another pizza and a Hennepin, and I tagged along for a sub sandwich and a Newcastle. Jeff and Andy met up with us as we finished up our lunch, and we headed back to the hotel, almost back to normal. Frank packed up his stuff, and we took him to the airport so that he could get home for Emma's first Communion. It was too bad that he couldn't stay with us for the post-race partying, but he vowed that next year he'd be there for the entire weekend.

After we dropped Frank off, we drove up to Broad Ripple for early dinner. On the way, we stopped at a neat little park and did some gentle hiking through the nature preserve there. I had forgotten about this sidetrip initially. Thanks, Alex, for reminding me! :) After sampling a great cinnamon loaf at a bread company, I purchased one of those monster loaves to take home to the family. It was really good bread, but seriously dense. I was feeling full after the sample alone! Another short walking tour of the area nearly did Alex in (he was pretty funny about his legs "burning" from the walking), but we soon enough settled in at Union Jack's pub for pizza and beer. Alex and I had the fish and chips and a Black and Tan, and Jeff and Andy shared a couple of pizzas with some of Jeff's Indy friends. It was a nice relaxing time, as we wound down from the morning excitement. Gilbert called us back while we were there, and we gave him the short version of our racing day. He was pleased with our runs, I think.

We bid the Indy locals adieu, and then returned to the hotel for a brief rest. Alex decided he'd had enough by then, and settled in with Nascar and the NBA instead of a last beer stop with Mark. So, Andy, Jeff and I joined Mark across the street from Bazbeaux's at a Scottish pub for a couple of late night beers. By the end of that, at about 11:00, I was pretty well done for the night, pleasantly buzzed, but not severly impaired either. Mark took us back to the hotel, and a long day was done. I watched the last bit of the Mavericks game (they destroyed the Rockets), and then I was asleep pretty fast, too. What a day!

Stats: In a funny turn of events, the official website has my time as something like 1:46:30. That's not right, but I'm flattered. My actual finishing stats are as follows:
  • Overall: 3416/25029
  • Male: 2820/12419
  • Age Group (45-49): 340/1569
  • Pace for first 7 miles: 8:25, pace for last 6.1 miles 8:17, a big negative split.
  • First 5 miles 41:58 (8:24 pace), second 5 miles 42:11 (8:26), pretty consistent
  • Last 5K was 25:27 (8:11 pace), my fastest stretch of the whole race.
I'm pretty pleased with all the numbers. On a slightly better weather day (overcast would have been nice), I might have sliced off another minute, but I'll take a PR. Comparing this year to last year is the real eye-opener, though. I ran 2:02:24 last year, so this was almost exactly a 13 minute improvement in a single year. Nice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great write up, and a nice PR! Sorry I didn't get to it earlier. Are you sure that you're not quoting your gun-time as your record where the website is showing your chip time? The difference would be about right...

Jay said...

Sadly, they just messed up my chip time on the official results. I'd love to take credit for 1:46:xx, but I really didn't run it that fast. I kept my splits manually, and I know I didn't mess it up that much. Plus, the last 5K split they list is just way slow, too. Thanks for reading the very long writeup, though.

I will use their error, however, to register for 2006, because that will put me in a seeded group. :)

jcc@45

Anonymous said...

Mini registration reached 30,000 today, Nov.23. Field has expanded to 35,000 but will fill quickly.